Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Blue lines on sensor

Charl Senekal

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Mkuze, South Africa
Good day all, I just got my first brand new Red camera (Weapon Helium) but I am having trouble with horizontal blue (sometimes green) lines appearing across the sensor as soon as the sensor temperature reached around 41-42 degrees C.

I manually recalibrated blackshading at 43 degrees C (average operating temp from observations) and varying shutter speeds. I am working in warm environment but it is always warm here! I set a target temp for 39 degrees to keep the fans going and the sensor as cool as possible. There is definitely a correlation between rising temperature and appearance of the lines which get recorded in footage as well, hence I believe it is a sensor issue. I thought it was a blackshading issue but it doesn't explain the appearance even when blackshaded for correct temperatures.

The use of pre-record adds to the issue as I assume the temperature rises when pre-recording, although happens too when the camera is just switched on and in standby mode, just to a lesser degree. Switching fans to max speed reduces the lines and sometimes eliminates them.

Using Firmware version 6.3.78, Dragoncolour 2 and Redgamma4 if that helps at all.

I sent a request to tech support, though being Easter weekend the chances are I might not get a response until normal working days resume though I would like to use my camera this weekend. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS Was shooting high shutter speeds to draw stills from footage though I doubt that will cause an issue as it appears even when shooting at 1/24s
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
Is sharpening turned on in the Look section in camera?

Have you tried offloading the clip to check it in your edit suite?
 
Ok on my SW some times I notice it has not loaded the calibration map/ blackshade. In that case I see noise and even dead pixels etc.. Also the T/E indicators are yellow or red even though the camera is at the right temperature. A reboot usually solves this and they both show green. Now I'm always looking at the T/E indicators before I roll after a re start. I'm wondering if you are experiencing something similar to this? Can you recall the status of the T/E indicators before you rolled?
 
Carl, I had the similar problem, on the exact same portion of the image. I worked with red and they sent a firmware update, I loaded and re-auto calibrated and have not been able to reproduce it. It was pretty random when it happened anyways.

I did some testing and it never showed up, shooting again tomorrow to see if I can reproduce it again.

Not sure if you tried or checked yet, but see if it becomes less visible as ISO is lowered, the footage that has it on some of my projects has to be used. I've found that lowering the ISO does have an effect on those lines (which makes me think it's a calibration issue, not on your part, but maybe something from the factory). Lower the ISO very low, and adjust exposure separately. See how that works to maybe salvage the footage.
 
Hi Surender, the camera was calibrated at around 40 degrees, and the T/E indicators were green when I started rolling. The increased temp was a result of warm conditions and working sensor, hence my T indicator turning yellow when this occurred and my thoughts that it was a calibration issue. I received a mail from support (thankfully over the holiday period) that the issue will be addressed in an upcoming firmware update to be released over the next few days, tying in with what Darren mentioned re a firmware update. Update 6.3.98 did not fix the issue though

Thanks for assistance and thoughts everyone
 
I had the same thing, but with green--just left side of the image. RED ended up replacing my boards after months of chasing why blackshades weren't working.
 
Back
Top