Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Backorder Update - November 8

Was it ever confirmed if the Epic-X package included a quad or a dual battery module?
 
Thanks for the update.

If you are hoping for an even swap/exchange for a canon mount it is unrealistic.. the Nikon mount , as it sits, is going to be more expensive.

I am hoping for an even swap, but if they're not the same price then "pay the difference" counts as an even swap. To expect more wouldn't be fair.

Red's been that generous with a lot of stuff so I'm going to be optimistic for now :)
 
Isn't R&D fun? Just when you thought you had a Nikon mount . . . .

Thanks for the update, Chief. Been waiting for this one.
I guess if I really need to shoot something before Feb., I can "suffer" with the Ti PL mount and RED lenses, or a New Ruby Zoom.
Such is life.:wink5:
 
I expect to see some 3rd party Nikon mounts to come across my desk soon.. so that would be a good alternative to those of you bleeding to get at least something working. no aperture or autofocus.. but at least something.
 
All the basic Cage bits ( top, bottom, side adapters and ribs ) started shipping yesterday. need a week or so to determine a timeframe status.

Thanks Jarred! I have a big accessory order geing processed, so will look for the updates as they come. Thanks!
 
Jarred-
For the record, I'd be satisifed for the short term if you guys could make a nicely built "dumb" nikon mount (build/locking mechanism like the Canon)... I have plenty of manual lenses that I love to focus by hand... ;)
-CK

I have several decent Nikon to Canon adapter mounts bought mostly on ebay for 10 bucks or so that fit very nice and very tight to the Canon mount.

If not worried about electronics, simply use the Canon mount and use a Nikon to canon adapter. I use it for all my AIS Nikon lenses. This would assume you are buying a Canon mount however. Since I have the Scarlet AL mount, i'm excited to use both L Series Canon glass as well as my trusty Nikon AIS lenses
 
Last edited:
I have several decent Nikon mounts bought mostly on ebay for 10 bucks or so that fit very nice and very tight to the Canon mount. If you are not worried about electronics simply use the Canon mount and use a Nikon to canon adapter. I use it for all my AIS Nikon lenses. This would assume you are buying a Canon mount however.

I use the fotodiox pro adapters with a bunch of AIS glass and they work great:)
 
I use the fotodiox pro adapters with a bunch of AIS glass and they work great:)

I had some play in my original Fotodiox from the back of the lens to the adapter, not the adapter to Canon, so I took a light masking tape and put it over the adapter and trimmed with a razor blade. Acted as a minor shim. Rough way of getting it to fit snug, but maybe I had a dud'

I own the amazing 50mm 1.2 Nikon AIS however there is a pin on the back so it wouldn't fit inside the DSLR bodies. I cnc'd it off and it is a great lens Some basic work arounds and each Nikon now has it's own mount attached for quick change on set.
 
I had some play in my original Fotodiox from the back of the lens to the adapter, not the adapter to Canon, so I took a light masking tape and put it over the adapter and trimmed with a razor blade. Acted as a minor shim. Rough way of getting it to fit snug, but maybe I had a dud'

I own the amazing 50mm 1.2 Nikon AIS however there is a pin on the back so it wouldn't fit inside the DSLR bodies. I cnc'd it off and it is a great lens Some basic work arounds and each Nikon now has it's own mount attached for quick change on set.

I use an individual mount for each lens to:) helps a lot. The ones I have were like $65 and had no play at all. I also had to cut the tab of my 50mm f1.2. love that lens!
 
Jarred, have you given thought to doing an "Accessory Update" thread like you guys did a long time ago with Big Jon? That worked very well, I thought, as there was one place to look to see how the supply chain was going. Thank you for updating us, but it is a bit "needle in the haystack" some times.

Hope those side handles or batt modules get shipping soon! Can't wait to get them so we can finally use our pile of RED Volts that are doing nothing for us! ;-)

Thx again.

Kevin
 
Hey Jarred,

Are there any updates in regards to when the AL Canon mount will become available in the store?


All Aluminum Canon mounts are dedicated to Scarlet camera purchases for the foreseeable future.
 
Jarred, have you given thought to doing an "Accessory Update" thread like you guys did a long time ago with Big Jon? That worked very well, I thought, as there was one place to look to see how the supply chain was going. Thank you for updating us, but it is a bit "needle in the haystack" some times.
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Things change on a daily basis so threads like that get out of date really quick. And as every week goes by, new orders come in so looking at backorder status isn't always black and white. When I post these little updates, it is from where we are at the time I post them. In a couple months.. we plan on getting out of the hole on pretty much everything. So a thread like that old one would be more accurate.. except hopefully it will no longer be needed.
 
Hey Jarred,

Let's hypothetically say that if I ordered an Al Canon Scarlet within the first hour it was on the store, and if I happened to have the balance sitting in my account at red ready to be taken up the moment my camera is allocated....

...how likely is it that I'm going to have a merry Christmas?
 
Thanks Kevin. Things change on a daily basis so threads like that get out of date really quick. And as every week goes by, new orders come in so looking at backorder status isn't always black and white. When I post these little updates, it is from where we are at the time I post them. In a couple months.. we plan on getting out of the hole on pretty much everything. So a thread like that old one would be more accurate.. except hopefully it will no longer be needed.

Jared,

First of all, THANKS to the RED team for focusing on getting out of "back order debt." You guys have a LOT on your plates right now and I totally get that you've been challenged to keep up.

Which I guess is at the heart of my concern. It feel like you guys keep charging off into new territory and coming up with great new products that we all want... but meanwhile, the stuff that we REALLY NEED is still missing.

It seems like some production lines have been ramped up significantly, while other have stalled significantly or haven't gotten off the ground. For example, today I got emails that both my second Bomb EVF was shipping as well as a Tactical top plate. That's cool, but these were relatively recent orders. These were ordered for my Scarlet, which hasn't shipped yet (not complaining about that BTW) just surprised they shipped so quickly relative to other back ordered components.

For example, I still haven't gotten my much needed 15mm Assault Plate which your post indicated would be out of backorder in November. Why the Assault Plate is still on backorder is a real mystery to me. I ordered that back in August, as well as the Canon Ti mount. The Assault Plate seems like a relatively simple machined part that I believe you said you were adding another line for. But they seem to be dribbling out. Slooowly. The Ti mount... well it's Titanium. I know it's a tough thing to mill, test, etc. So I'm being patient but hoping it comes soon.

As a stage 2 EPIC customer, I've received everything except the Red Mote and of course, the Module Adapter and Pro Battery module. I guess I don't understand why the Red Mote is SO far behind when the product was finalized a long time ago. That and the battery module are part of a camera system that I've had on order for a long time, and have paid for.

I know you guys are working hard to ramp production lines. But I wish RED would focus on completing Stage 2 customer orders as complete packages, then move on to stage 3 etc. I understand all of these components are separate production lines, and you want to get cameras into people's hands as soon as possible, but when you don't get the stuff you need to really make the camera useful and complete for production, it gets frustrating. It would be great if RED could focus on balancing the supply chain to get key system components out that we all need -- like the PRO I/O module, Red Motes and Pro Battery Modules, as well as basic support components like the Assault Plate that make EPIC usable in 15mm hand-held configurations with your QR system (which is awesome!). I don't want to buy one that doesn't work with your QR system.

As a production company owner, it's hard for me to consider moving over to an EPIC/Scarlet camera system with a common set of components and accessories when so many key components are missing. I'm hanging on to my RED ONE because I need a camera that has full I/O, simultaneous EVF and LCD, etc.. It's a complete system. But I don't need it if I have an EPIC and Scarlet as a "B" camera. Meanwhile the price on my RED ONE package keeps dropping - close to the amount I would have received as trade in as part of Stage 3. The reason I chose stage 2 was because I wanted to be able to get my epic SYSTEM sooner and to be able to sell my RED MX in a market window where there was still a healthy demand. Now, I still don't have a complete EPIC package, and Scarlet is shipping. Now all the stage 3 guys are dumping Red ONE AKS into the market because they won't need them once they surrender their RED ONE bodies. So essentially, the RED ONE AKS market has dropped to the point that I'll end up giving them away for the price Stage 3 customers are getting for just the body. Another reason I went with the Stage 2 package was that it was originally shipping with a 5" LCD instead of a 2.5" LCD. Now Stage 2 and Stage 3 packages are identical. That's all water under the bridge....and I've amortized the camera. But the point is, the longer I have to wait for the rest of my EPIC package, the longer I feel compelled to hang on to my RED ONE. And the more money I lose.

SO... PLEASE, focus on completed delivery on EPIC system components. And then go off and create something else amazing.

Thanks for listening...

M
 
Jared,

First of all, THANKS to the RED team for focusing on getting out of "back order debt." You guys have a LOT on your plates right now and I totally get that you've been challenged to keep up.

Which I guess is at the heart of my concern. It feel like you guys keep charging off into new territory and coming up with great new products that we all want... but meanwhile, the stuff that we REALLY NEED is still missing.

It seems like some production lines have been ramped up significantly, while other have stalled significantly or haven't gotten off the ground. For example, today I got emails that both my second Bomb EVF was shipping as well as a Tactical top plate. That's cool, but these were relatively recent orders. These were ordered for my Scarlet, which hasn't shipped yet (not complaining about that BTW) just surprised they shipped so quickly relative to other back ordered components.

For example, I still haven't gotten my much needed 15mm Assault Plate which your post indicated would be out of backorder in November. Why the Assault Plate is still on backorder is a real mystery to me. I ordered that back in August, as well as the Canon Ti mount. The Assault Plate seems like a relatively simple machined part that I believe you said you were adding another line for. But they seem to be dribbling out. Slooowly. The Ti mount... well it's Titanium. I know it's a tough thing to mill, test, etc. So I'm being patient but hoping it comes soon.

As a stage 2 EPIC customer, I've received everything except the Red Mote and of course, the Module Adapter and Pro Battery module. I guess I don't understand why the Red Mote is SO far behind when the product was finalized a long time ago. That and the battery module are part of a camera system that I've had on order for a long time, and have paid for.

I know you guys are working hard to ramp production lines. But I wish RED would focus on completing Stage 2 customer orders as complete packages, then move on to stage 3 etc. I understand all of these components are separate production lines, and you want to get cameras into people's hands as soon as possible, but when you don't get the stuff you need to really make the camera useful and complete for production, it gets frustrating. It would be great if RED could focus on balancing the supply chain to get key system components out that we all need -- like the PRO I/O module, Red Motes and Pro Battery Modules, as well as basic support components like the Assault Plate that make EPIC usable in 15mm hand-held configurations with your QR system (which is awesome!). I don't want to buy one that doesn't work with your QR system.

As a production company owner, it's hard for me to consider moving over to an EPIC/Scarlet camera system with a common set of components and accessories when so many key components are missing. I'm hanging on to my RED ONE because I need a camera that has full I/O, simultaneous EVF and LCD, etc.. It's a complete system. But I don't need it if I have an EPIC and Scarlet as a "B" camera. Meanwhile the price on my RED ONE package keeps dropping - close to the amount I would have received as trade in as part of Stage 3. The reason I chose stage 2 was because I wanted to be able to get my epic SYSTEM sooner and to be able to sell my RED MX in a market window where there was still a healthy demand. Now, I still don't have a complete EPIC package, and Scarlet is shipping. Now all the stage 3 guys are dumping Red ONE AKS into the market because they won't need them once they surrender their RED ONE bodies. So essentially, the RED ONE AKS market has dropped to the point that I'll end up giving them away for the price Stage 3 customers are getting for just the body. Another reason I went with the Stage 2 package was that it was originally shipping with a 5" LCD instead of a 2.5" LCD. Now Stage 2 and Stage 3 packages are identical. That's all water under the bridge....and I've amortized the camera. But the point is, the longer I have to wait for the rest of my EPIC package, the longer I feel compelled to hang on to my RED ONE. And the more money I lose.

SO... PLEASE, focus on completed delivery on EPIC system components. And then go off and create something else amazing.

Thanks for listening...

M

Very well written letter, however the fact remains that we all have our wish list of how things should go. I believe Red is going about this fairly and methodically. Will you wind up losing a couple of dollars? Sell you Red One, use HDMI and a mic pre. Otherwise you will be cutting off your nose despite your face - camera costs are alredy going up in January. They can and will deliver on time very soon on a regular basis but it will come at a cost, letters like yours may in fact lead to them saying, fine, we will do it like this one person says and the cost goes up for everyone else here. I think waiting a little longer wont kill any of us, in fact it's a good thing that we don't and aren't able to get things when and how we want them by yelling. Not saying you were yelling but there seem to be a lot of demands on here and man, it's gotta get tiring for these cats. You own a dope camera, go shoot with it and when things are ready you will be more happy and make your money back ten fold. Greed isn't good, stay away from Wall Street.
 
Back
Top