Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

B-camera to go with Scarlet-W - recommendations

Doesn't the Blackmagic camera line make the most sense? I would get the bmagic cinema, micro or pocket cam. They all shoot raw for an easy grade and the prores is almost indistinguishable from BM raw if graded correctly. I have used them to cut with Alexa with no problems in well lit environments. Use the Red as your wide shot then the BM as your tight camera. I would stay away from the Sony colors, if you can avoid them. The Blackmagic doesn't have all the specs of a Sony but I like the picture better. Just make sure to get an Hoya (or comparable) IR filter for use with ND filters with the BM cameras and you are good to go.
 
Thanks for the link. Of couse for video only blackmagic is a good solution. But as mentioned in my first post I ideally look for a camera that can cover gigs where I do photo (with AF) and video. Or where I have a second shooter grab some extra footage + stills.
 
Got it, read it too fast. I think you had it right at first the 7D mark ii checks most of your boxes off.

It seems to get better video quality in your situation, you will have to:
-compromise on one or more of your Photo needs
-add a video specific b camera
-live with sony color (not sure about their autofocus)

I kinda think 2 cams is the only thing that ticks all of the boxes... a photo/scout cam then a video cam for b camera coverage
 
Got it, read it too fast. I think you had it right at first the 7D mark ii checks most of your boxes off.

It seems to get better video quality in your situation, you will have to:
-compromise on one or more of your Photo needs
-add a video specific b camera
-live with sony color (not sure about their autofocus)

I kinda think 2 cams is the only thing that ticks all of the boxes... a photo/scout cam then a video cam for b camera coverage

Hey Steve-O, FYI....this is a real names forum.

You may wanna add a signature with your real name, etc.
 
I got the sony a7rii when it came out for this reason but i have only had to use it for footage at one project. Im thinking its perhaps easier to match canon 1dx markii to red. Do anybody think this is true?
 
Many DSLRs can be matched to RED - of course that's subjected based on how you grade. I would say the codec is the most important factor as this allows the footage to be pushed farther for matching. I think the 1DX Mark II records in photojpg (?) so ide be curious to see how that holds up with heavy grades?

Another factor for us was lenses. If you can use the same lenses on both RED and DSLRs this of course helps the overall esthetics.

Keep an eye on the GH5. 4K@60 10-bit 4:2:2 internal and can use virtually any lens with adapter: even getting close to S35 with metabones. Shoots pretty flat and ide imagine the high bit rate would hold up great for correction and grades.
 
Last edited:
I was just able to order the XT2 as I needed a smaller setup to have aside from my Epic Dragon for smaller projects with lower budgets. I am curious about this camera as the reviews are great and the camera is sold out everywhere to include B&H, Adorama, Amazon etc. I spoke to a rep at B&H and he said that the Fuji XT2 was selling like hotcakes. He further said that allot of canon 5d mark III shooters have converted. See the reviews on B&H about XT2.


It will be interested to see how this looks with the Dragon...I am sure going to test it out and grade it to see how it looks.
 
Last edited:
Many DSLRs can be matched to RED - of course that's subjected based on how you grade. I would say the codec is the most important factor as this allows the footage to be pushed farther for matching. I think the 1DX Mark II records in photojpg (?) so ide be curious to see how that holds up with heavy grades?

Another factor for us was lenses. If you can use the same lenses on both RED and DSLRs this of course helps the overall esthetics.

Keep an eye on the GH5. 4K@60 10-bit 4:2:2 internal and can use virtually any lens with adapter: even getting close to S35 with metabones. Shoots pretty flat and ide imagine the high bit rate would hold up great for correction and grades.

I would have a look at the Leica SL. It outputs 10 bit 4;2;2 so recording video onto a Shogun or similar in Pro Res should give you a fair bit to play with to match the Dragon sensor.
I am not sure if anyone has manufactured a L mount to EF mount yet but like the Sony E mount or M43 mount it has a shallow flange distance so EF lenses could work in theory.
The 4 K EVF is also a real draw card for focus when doing video.
If you decide to go with native Leica lenses they have very fast auto focus.
The system is relatively light but the only downside is that you could probably set yourself up with a Raven for similar money.
 
Back
Top