Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Avid On Windows Xp??

dgm204

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi,

I'm a newbie and learning, but wanted to confirm my suspicions:

I cannot do any of the avid workflows on Windows XP yet because REDCODE RAW quicktime codec is not yet available for XP?

Or can I still use Red Cine to export new quicktimes and then take them into the Avid on XP and not need the REDCODE RAW plug in?

AND CAN AVID SERIOUSLY GET THERE UPDATE FOR LEOPARD DONE ALREADY!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.
DAN
 
Transcode to Quicktimes with an avid codec of your choice.
Download MetaCheater and use it to get the proper timecode from the QTs into Avid as an ALE.
Import ALE.
Batch import the Clips.
Edit.

Either finish in Avid or output an EDL with the new Red16 EDL template for conforming with a tool of your choice.

MetaCheater and EDL template can be found HERE
 
You can use RedCine to create DNxHD115 embedded QuickTimes. Leoapard support is currently in beta and is slated for the next release. We need to wait for final releases and deal with changes in OS as they come out to be stable... have you read any of the QuickTime 7.4 nightmares that Apple did to support iTunes rentals?

Michael
 
I believe the "PAL" based output is hard coded to 185 while the "NTSC" rates are defaulting to 115.

Michael
 
thanks for the info... This is my first Red project, but my buddy has already done two. He alerted me to the quicktime fiasco... Im aware of the metacheater steps. I just wasnt sure about why the REDCODE RAW plug in was needed for OS X but is not available for Windows. So is all im not able to do on windows is play the R3 preview quicktimes in Quicktime directly?

I bought a brand new 17" mac book pro for the project, and then realized the leopard issue (woops)... So i guess now Im going to run Media Composer through XP on my Mac. What a mess... but anything to stay off FCP for me :)

hopefully hit Leopard MC update after we finish on location editing.

DAN
 
I bought a brand new 17" mac book pro for the project, and then realized the leopard issue (woops)... So i guess now Im going to run Media Composer through XP on my Mac. What a mess... but anything to stay off FCP for me :)
DAN

FYI
I am successfully using Leopard 10.5.2 with MC Soft 2.8 on an iMac Intel 24". Just minor issues with Command Palette when customizing the keyboard. Alerts pop up. But stuff still works. No showstoppers so far.
 
I'm avoiding Leopard for the time being anyway - I wasn't happy with a couple of things in it. At present we're still running 10.4.11 on our MacPro, and have FCP 6.0.2, Avid Xpress Pro 2.8 and the various RED tools.

We import the proxies on the Mac, and then (sometimes) take the Avid media to our Windows Avids.

Without a Mac Avid available, only the transcoding in REDCINE option really exists.
 
Hi,

I cannot do any of the avid workflows on Windows XP yet because REDCODE RAW quicktime codec is not yet available for XP?

hey man - did you try any workflow out yet? i'm on windows as well, and trying to figure out of I should make the jump to MAC or just get a macbook pro and use that do get the date ready for editing in Avid on Windows.

THANKS.
 
We are currently editing on Avid in Windows and OS X with media we create from proxies on the Mac.

Once the QT Component is available for Windows the same will work there. Not sure timeframe on that though unfortunately.
 
Back
Top