Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Avid and Helium

Eric Santiago

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
4,630
Reaction score
23
Points
38
Location
Canada
Is this true:

https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/articles/229370927-HELIUM-8K-S35-Sensor-FAQs

Do Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, OR Avid Media Composer support the new HELIUM 8K S35 footage?

All major software packages are planning to support HELIUM 8K S35 footage in their next publicly released versions. The latest version of Baselight currently supports HELIUM 8K S35 footage, Adobe and Apple have also recently released updated versions of their NLEs with +6K footage support. However, third-party software timelines are subject to change depending on their internal development.


I've been racking my brain for days and then I find this info :(

Am I boned as far as using Avid with Helium files?

The files are 6K but I cant find any info online on my issues.

Sent tech support an email this morning.

Hope someone sheds some light on this.
 
Last edited:
If there are any issues, it would just be with the raw files. So just transcode to DNXHD and you'll be on your way!
 
If there are any issues, it would just be with the raw files. So just transcode to DNXHD and you'll be on your way!

Actually, that's where I am having issues.

The Avid AAF & MXF export is not working on any version of Avid to date.

From MC 8.4.x to 8.9.3, importing the ALE works but when you move the MXFs into the blessed folder it shows up as MEDIA OFFLINE even after a refresh.

RAW files are fine in Avid MC 8.9.3 and Resolve 12.5.

We think the issue is between RCX 50 and Avid.
 
Hmm definitely weird?

If I'm understanding correctly, DNX proxies made in RCX aren't working? Have you tested proxies generated from something else like Resolve? Hopefully that can help you isolate the problem?

Also, have you tried it with Dragon based footage just to check that it isn't the pipeline itself that's messed up?
 
Hmm definitely weird?

If I'm understanding correctly, DNX proxies made in RCX aren't working? Have you tested proxies generated from something else like Resolve? Hopefully that can help you isolate the problem?

I have tried DNxHD made from Resolve 12.5 on Windows 10 and that didnt work. That was before I started making headways with Avid MC 8.9.3, so I will test that soon.

Also, have you tried it with Dragon based footage just to check that it isn't the pipeline itself that's messed up?

I tried that too and it seems older Scarlet footage dont work using the Avid AAF & MXF export from RCX 50.

Not sure what would happen if I roll back to an older build.

I was around build 32 before upgrading to build 50.
 
Just to add, I prefer RCX or Resolve for proxy since I can take advantage of Audio Auto Match on both apps.

Never really much with that in Avid as far as audio syncing goes.
 
Update:

Tested Helium and older Scarlet files from Resolve (used AAF export) and all worked fine.

Might have to give up on this and move on.

Tech support is on it.

Maybe hear from them after the holidays.

Thanks Marcus for helping.
 
Definitely weird. Looking forward to hearing what tech support says. Wish I could be more helpful!
 
Definitely weird. Looking forward to hearing what tech support says. Wish I could be more helpful!

You listened and replied, that's therapeutic :)

After all that I used Resolve on both PC/Mac to export the 20-day shoot.

Best workflow for cross-platform to date.

Avid transcode was too slow on a Z840 which baffles me.
 
Lol glad you got it figured out!

P.S. Maybe I should just drop this whole filmmaking thing and become a therapist. Probably more money.... and less drama :rofl:
 
Lol glad you got it figured out!

P.S. Maybe I should just drop this whole filmmaking thing and become a therapist. Probably more money.... and less drama :rofl:

For some reason I was ass backward with the RCX workflow.

I was not importing the AAF and only tried to use the ALE.

Felt good to know that the RCX workflow is viable but in the end Resolve won the race.

A 92 clip test I did in Resolve took half the time than RCX on a HP Z840 32GB and NVIDIA K5000.

On my Mac Pro D700 64GB it took almost 8 times longer.

Even worse, I mixed the two renders in Avid and exproted to AAF for Resolve.

Only the Resolve files linked back to the RAW.

I must be doing something wrong with the RCX but Its all moot, the whole lot is transcoded and ready for assembly.
 
FYI

The feature I prepped for Assembly was a complete mess.
All thanks to Resolve and Avids awful AUTO SYNC option.
While some files synced perfect, a good 1500 plus files didn't.
Of course, during initial checks, I got suckered into thinking all was good.
But after going over all the files, things were so badly out of sync I don't know what Avid MC was doing :P
Went back to REDCINE Audio Sync and that seemed to have worked for what I've had to redo so far.
 
Back
Top