Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Audio sync

Jake Wilganowski

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
2,860
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Dallas, TX
I have a project coming up that is going to shoot with my dragon, and be edited in Adobe Premier CC. Recording audio separately. If i have a scratch track going to cam, what is the least painful way to sync the clips in Premier I dont want to create more files, I want to stay raw. I can have the soundman send me scratch audio or a timecode feed or both. Any help is appreciated.
 
Thanks hans, does it work well, I know it's possible but wants to hear about any issues
 
Definitely do both TC and scratch track. That way, worst case you can use an "audio sync program" like plural eyes if poop hits the oscillator... And if that fails, the slate (which can be dummy, since it sounds like there are only the two devices) will work as a tertiary back-up..

TC can drift, though usually only by a frame or four. Just re-sync after every reboot and you'll be good (or if it's tether than it should always be good -- the "TC" logo on the camera's UI will go green when it's sunk).

ALSO, the TC connection on the DSMC brain is a non-standard/non-SoundDevices one, so you'll need a specialty cable to go from the recorder/clockit box to the brain (which the sound guy may or may not have). It's also different than the R1 connection, so an older cable won't work either... It's frustrating as there aren't any real world advantages to RED's implementation, either.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you might be talking specifically about Dragon. In which case, wait for a response from someone who shoots with Dragon/TC regularly to confirm/deny what I've said (I'm MX still.)
 
Call me oldschool but I always sync by eye. With slate/clapboard there aren't any issues. That said, timecode syncing in Premiere is a snap, literally. TC Sync to the sound recorder and you'll be all set.

I also use one of these just about all the time. Only $13.

http://smile.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W-Noise-Canceling-Microphone/dp/B000MYPPPE/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_z

41YLiBt3rjL._SL1000_.jpg
 
This is so easy in FCPX with Audio Sync and FCPX .

No need for TC.

And Plural Eyes dont work with R3Ds.
 
So timecode syncing in premier CC w/ Dragon r3d's works perfectly? If so that's great. I'll have a lockit box on cam from soundguy.
 
On my first Dragon (Scarlet) short, my sound guy couldn't keep the SD 633 in synch with my Scarlet Dragon using the 633 as master since RED brain will only do slave. We used free run after connecting, then disconnecting the 633 to the Scarlet, it synched at the moment but just didn't last. It drifted badly after only a short time, so much so that there's clearly more than just a drift issue. He said he called the Sound Device people but they didn't have an answer. We had slate and scratch so were covered.
 
This is an issue with most Sound recorders with TC.

I hear so many failures with Lock it boxes and recorders drifting TC.

I wonder if this will be a viable option.
 
Scratch audio into the camera and syncing based on audio works great for me in Premiere Pro CC. Just want to make sure you slate everything too just in case. I find that real slates with real sticks works best for me if I can't have scratch audio or the scratch audio somehow fails to help it sync.
 
This is an issue with most Sound recorders with TC.

I hear so many failures with Lock it boxes and recorders drifting TC.

I wonder if this will be a viable option.


On this topic I would like to retract (for the time being) my comment.

Current project using a 4pin to 5pin LEMO along an SD788T and RED Scarlet jam sync as many times possible (power down) seems to work smoothly.

That was day one of twelve so we shall see ;)

No Lockit box was used.

Waiting to hear back from Tentacle on their product.

They seem to be on a hiatus.
 
Back
Top