Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Are 2 cams better than 1?

Nicholaus James

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Since I now believe that I am buying into something that will last me the next decade, at the least, in my endeavors, should I try and plunge into getting 2 camera systems?

I see having 2 cameras for action sequences, but that doesn't take up the brunt of a shooting script. And I can see renting a second or third, for that matter, for THOSE specific days of action sequences.

Would it be excessive or essential to have two cameras on set at all times?

I'm just pondering in putting down for this next reservation window.
 
I reserved two cameras so that I have the ability to easily put kits together for two separate camera crews, either working on the same production as Cam A and Cam B, or to be able to have them go separate ways to work on different projects, since I usually have multiple projects under way simultaneously. The added benefit is that even if it is just a 1-camera shoot we're on, we have the option to bring the second RED as a backup camera on location, should anything happen to the first one (damage, theft, etc.). For those on more limited budgets, buying a second RED may not be an option initially, but you could then establish a good network of REDs available for rent, should you need a second camera, and then go to work generating the revenue with the first camera that should quickly enable you to buy a second RED if you'd like to.

If I could have set aside the resources to do so, I'd have reserved the maximum number of RED cameras allowed (5), because I have no doubt that I could keep them busy generating revenue. I have also reserved a RED 18-85 zoom and a RED 300mm prime. I have a feeling that they will be very good lenses, engineered to dance well with the RED One camera.
 
It depends. If your movie is a POV-based work, I'd say maybe not. If your goal is the action sequences type (even genre master shot), it helps.
 
The cool thing is with the newly-announced few days reservation period this month, those who wished they had reserved a second camera or the lenses will have another chance to do so.
 
Good question...I would guess there will be a ton of them because as it stands right now, after this January 3-day reservation period, the next time anyone will be able to make a reservation is mid-April at NAB.
 
As for the original question is 2 better than 1...

Almost everytime! (My 2nd child was born today - a boy)

As for myself, there will be times I need two RED´s, for those times I will rent the second one, because the way I operate today I can justify one RED but not two...

Here is a future RED camera DOP:
kristian.jpg
 
Gratulerer Eirik!

Mine is due around NAB.
Makes me wonder if I am to post @ reduser that very day, too.

Gunleik

Edit'ed an "i" into "Eirik" - shame on me...
 
Thanks Gunleik, I am sure we will meet before the year is up (Maybe when gibby gets here in the summer), good luck!
 
Congratulations in the new baby Eirik! As you said, I'm sure he will be a future RED DOP. A good name would be Eirik the RED, but his dad has already taken that name...
 
Congratulations Eirik !!! :)

Let me guess, you named him... Jim ? heheh.
 
Congrats Eirik!
 
It's harder to light for two cameras (dramatic), so I probably won't use it in cinematic work (although I suppose you can have two lenses on two cameras, or one on a crane and one for the tripod or steadicam so you don't have to re-cage/pimp it). Two or more is almost a must for event or sports work. I will rent the second out when not using it.
 
Congratulation Erik!
I'm buying 2 cameras, I want to create a very small company (3-4 people) and then sell "camera service" from behind the lens to post-prod.
I'm (still) a producer and I know is necesary have 2 cameras to convince any other "not RED" producer to use it in expensive shooting... No film, no tape... many new things for them to show up with only one little camera.
I'm love with RED but how many skeptics are out there?
 
Back
Top