Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Aperture Issue with Ziess ZE 1.4 Lenses on FW 6.0.**

Matthew Riggieri

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
442
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Baltimore, MD
Hey Red Team

There is an issue on the latest builds with any Ziess ZE f1.4 lens. Lens is fine wide open, but when you start to stop down, it just continually stops itself down, slowly.

There was an issue on the FW5 where it didn't always change the aperture value on the GUI when the lens would, but at least that was usable. This makes the lenses unusable. This is with two different bodies and two different Ai mounts.
 
I have the same thing going on. RED wants to replace the boards on my mount for $250.
 
George - which Canon Mount (Ti, or Motion - or Al ?). There could
be different board 'runs' associated with the different mounts. Also,
which exact version of firmware & which camera ? Try different EF
lenses - ones on the approved list & those not.

i found that the Canon EF Motion Mount & 6.0.35 on my
Epic Dragon did not recognize the Canon 35mm IS f/2, nor
the Canon 24-70 IS f/4 (both supported). BUT ! This combination
did work with the Canon 11-24 zoom (I did get the advisory
that the lens was unrecognized, what did I want to do ? --
to which I said "later" and went on.

good luck & whatever you find, please share !

Serge


I have the same thing going on. RED wants to replace the boards on my mount for $250.
 
The mount that is giving me the issue is the AI and the only zeiss ZE lenses that work are the 21mm and the 50mm (non macro) and the Canon 8-15 L.

Right now RED is telling me that the mount failed their checks and it's not associated with firmware update. I sent it in for the same exact problem that other people have been describing after the firmware update. I'm pretty apprehensive about paying for something that might not fix the aperture issue.

Basically now they're telling me that the lens mount is doing something other than what I originally sent it in for.
 
There have always been issues with Ziess ZE lenses, so I doubt it really is the mount. I think they must have made a revision to the mount and fixed the issues if this is not happening on all mounts.




I will post my canon mount revisions tomorrow and my friend is getting a new scarlet-D, so i can test it on his new mount.
 
Serge- Sorry I missed part of your post. The Camera is a Dragon and all of my Zeiss lenses worked great until I installed 6.0.28 and the camera froze on the on the finalization of the update. I tried to see if 6.0.31 would work on the

Matthew- Yes that would be extremely helpful! I've had another Reduser who is having troubles with their lens aperture after this series of Firmware updates contact me and is looking for answers too.
 
I went and looked at my canon mounts and there are no revision numbers on them. Both of mine were purchased around the same time.

Brent, can we get an answer from RED?
 
The newer firmware builds do some updating to lens-mounts, you should see a pop-up about updating addons or something like that. I have seen it directly after a first boot. I guess that's the way it should be, but with a later firmware i have seen this update-procedure being started when shutting down the camera or even at a later reboot.

After this update-procedure my camera seems to work fine, but i havn't tested it properly, just one or two lenses. Aperture is working on a Zeiss Otus and SIGMA ART for sure. No problems.

To me it seems that cameras with problems have a lens-mount with older fw, not matching to the new brain-firmware. It looks like the firmware didn't get updated.

I would try to force-flash and factory-reset a barebones camera with the lens-mount installed (some people seem to have more than one lens-mount and run into problems with the mounts that have been off the camera during the update).

Maybe even remove the SH for this update, so that the lens-mount is the one and only addon that needs an update. For me it was working with the SH installed, but see above, not exactly in a way i would expect it.
 
Tried to force the camera to upgrade the lens mount FW. No avail. Tried with multiple mounts, friend has a brand new scarlet dragon on order, so that is my next test.

RED can we get some word on this, this is not an isolated incident.
 
Did anyone find out what's going on with the EF mount system?

It looks like I'm going to be forced to pay $250 to replace the circuits on the mount "to bring your mount up to specification" since I'm out of warranty on the mount or pay $100 for it to be sent back and have a non functioning camera package.

I wish they had a warning on the upgrade that I'll have to pay to play on my camera if I had an older EF mount for the Epic Dragon. So much for Obsolescence Obsolete when I decided to go with this camera.

Sorry everyone. I'm not feeling good about this situation at all.

Good luck.
 
My buddy has a brand new Scarlet dragon with EF mount that came in today. Give me to Monday to test with that. That should provide lots of answers
 
I tested the the lenses on my buddy's brand new scarlet dragon with new EF mount. Same thing. This is obviously not a hardware issue.

Jarred / Brent can we get some official response here? Lots of people love shooting on these lenses and FW 6.* has made them unusable.
 
Yes Jarred / Brent, please help us out.

I love shooting this lens and camera combo.
 
Yeah. I was able to roll back to 5.2.42 and I now have control of the iris. :)
 
Yeah. I was able to roll back to 5.2.42 and I now have control of the iris. :)

Thanks for the info George. I'll try that and see how it goes. (My 28 and 100 ZE are all good and my Sigma Art 18 - 35). Just the 50 having issues.

RED, when you do resolve this issue in new firmware. Please let us know so we can update! Cheers
 
Back
Top