Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Anyone know what this sound is?

Scott Welsch

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2015
Messages
350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I attached a small clip so you can hear it.
https://youtu.be/hHE3Fhwzrsw

This is the mic I am using which I never had issues with before.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTAH62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also I've never had this issue before, just on this shoot.

So I thought maybe the issue was the mic wasn't pressed in all the way or that the fans weren't up to speed or idling too slowly. But it only happens when recording. Anyone know what the issue could be?
Fan control is set to quiet for my testing I've been doing during idle and during record.
 
Sounds like low-level timecode. It’s usually higher pitched than that, but sounds similar.
 
Sounds like low-level timecode. It’s usually higher pitched than that, but sounds similar.
I actually reset the camera settings and the sound has disappeared. It does appear to be in sync with the time code when looking and listening at the same time. I'm just wonder what setting would've enabled this
 
It sounds like channel bleeding when you record a hot TC level on one track and some low sound on the other using a stereo minijack for example.

Pat
 
Anyone know what settings cause this bleed? If I reset the camera it goes away, but obviously I'm missing something and it comes back through.
 
Hey mate, I have had similar sound issues when running a wired lapel into the wooden camera XLR to 3.5mm converter into the microphone port on the v-lock expander.

If I mounted that converter into a wooden camera baseplate on the media side of the camera, I found I got that noise every time I was recording.
So there was some kind of grounding interference going on and when I re-mounted the XLR to 3.5mm converter off the camera baseplate and instead on a wooden camera top handle, the noise went away.

So that might be something else to check? Is the microphone picking up interference as the data is writing. A colleague got similar issues running sound gear into a atomos recorder with an unpowered microphone.
Maybe test with other microphones which are powered?
 
Sounds like a grounding issue to me. Might need to try a ground loop isolator since it is a plug-in power mic?
 
Back
Top