Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Anyone having problems with their wooden camera DSMC2 v mount plates?

Anton Esteban

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2014
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
Points
16
I noticed from the beginning of getting mine that it was draining my Switronix batteries a lot faster than my Epic Dragon. Then one day it just started shutting off and then wouldn't turn on at all. I took of the v mount plate and half of the gold spring mounts in the back of the plate were stuck and one of them had even melted the plastic around it.

Wooden camera sent me a new one but 3 days into this week long travel job it started just shutting down and it would take a couple of times to reboot. I finally jerryrigged my old Woden camera v mount plate that plugs directly into the AC power input and I haven't had problems since.

I'm trying to narrow down the problem by seeing if anyone else has had this experience. Is it a conflict with my Switronix batteries? Is there a fundamental flaw with the DSMC2 wooden camera mount? (since this is the second to fail). Or is it my DSMC2 base expander? I tried to buy a RED v mount plate as a backup for this job but RED sent mine to the wrong address (that frustrating experience is for a whole other post).
 
Hey Anton,

I'm having the exact same issue. Shuts down randomly, and struggles to boot up. At the same time I'm having an issue with my camera brain, and I've reproduced the issue on both my E-W and a Weapon CF. I too, got a new board from them (great customer service I'll have to say) and it didn't seem to help.

I've been carrying a RED DC-in to p-tap as a backup when it inevitably fails. Certainly curious what's going on!
 
Which V mount plate is on both of your units ?

The blueshape or the idx or something else?

If it's one with a voltage regulator or other electronics beyond just wiring, I think there is probably a harmonic issue between two voltage regulators (one on the battery plate itself, one in the wooden camera electronics)

I use the Gold Mount version and have not had any problems.
 
Yeesh. Fortunately both of mine are working fine. Both are the Blueshape version. But it now looks like that version has been removed from their website... hmm
 
I have the Anton Bauer Gold Mount on mine. Interesting to hear this is an on-going problem! Mine worked fine for a while, then all the sudden it's dead. Anyone else pinpoint a change (other than firmware?)
 
Mine suddenly won't allow the AB battery to display correct voltage. I'm not sure if it's a WC thing or a firmware thing with the camera.
Battery stays at 100%, tried changing to time left and same results. The perplexing thing is that all worked properly before the last update I figured that was the problem and RED would work it out. Now that I'm seeing other people are having similar issues it looks like I better get an email off to WC.
 
I just left the Wooden Camera store in Burbank not too long ago and just wanted to put a little note here about my experience.

The gentleman at the store (I forgot his name, whoops!) was very helpful and immediately knew what my issue was. He proceeded to fix the plate right there on the spot with really no questions asked. He replaced the PCB board inside with one that apparently has a new firmware.

I'm hoping that was the actual root cause of my issue and I don't see it again--especially because I'm renting out the kit this weekend. I would hate for my renter to have issues with it. *fingers-crossed*
 
I had a different kind of issue with WC cable less V-mount (which I discussed in another thread). For some strange reason, I could not full tighten it to the back of the camera with the thumbwheels. As it was a bit loose, the camera shut down pretty much every time I did handheld shots.
I decided to disassemble the plates and replace the thumbwheel screws with fixed hex screws and that seems to have fixed my problem.
I have to say that WC responded very quickly and offered a replacement through CVP (the dealer where I purchased it), but I just couldn't afford to return it as I was in the middle of a job.
 
I just left the Wooden Camera store in Burbank not too long ago and just wanted to put a little note here about my experience.

The gentleman at the store (I forgot his name, whoops!) was very helpful and immediately knew what my issue was. He proceeded to fix the plate right there on the spot with really no questions asked. He replaced the PCB board inside with one that apparently has a new firmware.

I'm hoping that was the actual root cause of my issue and I don't see it again--especially because I'm renting out the kit this weekend. I would hate for my renter to have issues with it. *fingers-crossed*

Michael,

Thanks for stopping by the store! Hopefully that fixes any issues you're having. If not we'll keep working with you to make sure you have a reliable power source.

And I believe Dave helped you! :)
 
Back
Top