Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Any real world image quality difference between Scarlet Dragon & Epic Dragon?

Dominik Bauch

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2015
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
Hi,

On the fence between picking up a Scarlet Dragon or an Epic dragon. I don't need 6k but the high frame rates could be useful. Mainly want to make sure that the the camera works smoothly. Any scarlet Dragon owners have slow down problems or other performance issues?

1. Is there any image quality difference at 5k? I know it's the same sensor but I guess the electronics are cheaper...

2. Worried about re-sale, upgrade paths with Scarlet, with the Raven comping out will the used market for the Scarlet dry up? Is it safer to plunk down more for an Epic and have a more valuable asset?

3. Red Armor? Worth it? Big chunk of cash. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Dom
 
1. At equivalent resolutions, frame rates, and REDCODE, the Scarlet Dragon and Eoic Dragon will look exactly the same. The advantage with the epic body is that you get more resolution, more frame frames, and lower REDCODE compressions. If you want/need 6k (which you need for a proper 4k finish), more frame rates (which you need for music videos) or lower compressions (which you need for proper theatrical acquisition) then yes go with the Epic Dragon.

2. Scarlet Dragon resale value is a major issue. If you are worried about resale value I would lean towards the Epic Dragon. However, if you can take advantage of the low prices of a used Scarlet Dragon, you may be able to save yourself a ton of money and make your resale value question less important.

3. If you have really good insurance then Red Armor is less important. However, because there are an infinite amount of unavoidable things that can go wrong with a camera, I say that it is worth getting.


The moral of the story is that if you buy a camera with a Dragon sensor inside you will probably end up liking your purchase ;)
 
Well, rumor is there's a new member of the Scarlet family coming in NAB - may want to wait until then to see if prices drop or people dump their used ones to buy the new thing... OR the new thing may be worth picking up new. Tough call.
 
Hi,

On the fence between picking up a Scarlet Dragon or an Epic dragon. I don't need 6k but the high frame rates could be useful. Mainly want to make sure that the the camera works smoothly. Any scarlet Dragon owners have slow down problems or other performance issues?

1. Is there any image quality difference at 5k? I know it's the same sensor but I guess the electronics are cheaper...

2. Worried about re-sale, upgrade paths with Scarlet, with the Raven comping out will the used market for the Scarlet dry up? Is it safer to plunk down more for an Epic and have a more valuable asset?

3. Red Armor? Worth it? Big chunk of cash. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Dom

THE major performance issue with both cameras is that they use the older cards and will not do PRO RES which the market really seems to prefer! That being said, with lower Dragon fan, they are both noisy. I guess I got lucky on my Scarlet Dragon upgrade when I didn't put in the lower Dragon fan and I'm leaving it that way.
 
Hey Marcus, it seems like there aren't that many used Scarlet Dragons for sale on RedUser compared to, what I would think, is an over saturated market of used Epic Dragons/Epics. Out of curiosity, what have you seen them go for? Thus being a Scarlet Dragon owner, but I will admit, I did get a hold of a pretty good deal on a Battle Tested one..

Thanks in advance.
 
I would wait on a Scarlet Dragon, as it's about to be replaced in April by its Weapon DSMC2 version.

Or look into getting a Raven in meantime...
 
I don't really keep up with up the used market like I used to so I can't really answer that properly. But I do know that when red released the trade in prices for WEAPON that was a major hit to the used market and specifically the Scarlet Dragon.
 
Back
Top