Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Any advice for DaVinci-Dell 7730 I9,128gb, Quadro p5200 16gb,17"4k , 4drives, 7lbs?

scott devitte

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 5, 2013
Messages
839
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Any advice for DaVinci-Dell 7730 I9,128gb, Quadro p5200 16gb,17"4k , 4drives, 7lbs?

Can any of the DaVinci pros on this forum look at the specs and advise on a configuration?

The top CPU is Intel Core i9-8950HK, Six Core 2.90GHz, 4.60GHz Turbo, 12MB 45W or Intel Core Xeon E-2186M, Six Core Xeon 2.90GHz, 4.60GHz Turbo, 12MB 45W

For Davinci do you gain anything by going for the Xeon and EEC ram?

Nvidia Quadro P5200 w/16GB GDDR5

A really great- GP17.3" UltraSharp UHD IGZO 3840x2160 AG NT, Cam/Mic, w/Prem Panel Guar 100% color gamut.

4 slots up to 128gb ram. only ships with 64, or less. Soon 3200mgh ddr4!

4 M.2 drive slots, up to 8tb storage

Removable 6-cell 97Wh Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge™ Easy extra batt change in field.

Great array of ports including 2x thunderbolt 4 lane and Display port with 8k out! Fast SD card reader and wifi cards.

3 year warran

Any advice is very welcome.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/precision-17-7730-laptop/xctop7730hwus
 
What is your goal and what are your expectations from a laptop?

It looks like a hell of a laptop with a matching price I guess and you might be able to get the same speed for a lot less.

ECC ram is a lot slower than SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (2400..2666 MHz vs. 3200 MHz).
You can't use the 10 bit color of the P5200 in Davinci Resolve, so the only benefit in Resolve of the P5200 over the GTX1080 is the amout of memory 16 GB vs. 8 GB.
Davinci Resolve works fine on 32 GB and when you do a lot of fusion I would go for 64 GB.

I would go for a MSI, Gigabyte or ACER, the same speed for a lot less and they also have laptops with very descent screens.

Speedwise you can compare the CPU with a $190 Ryzen 5 2600 and the GPU with a $ 500 GTX1080 or VEGA56 (on a desktop computer).
 
Thanks Misha. I have been looking at all the 6 core laptops including the ones you mentioned. I saw this at NAB, I was very impressed by the build quality, size and weight of this machine. I also spent time with the new HP 17" G5 which I also like, but it has not been released. What I like about this is the 4 storage slots, I will be travelling a lot over the next year and staying in various places for weeks at a time. I want a fairly portable desk top replacement that doesn't have to have a lot of external working storage and cables, Just the computer and a small raid and possibly my Aorus gtx 1080 egpu. I want a 17" screen. I want a huge variety of I/O, and an easy to change battery. This machine has all of that. It is expensive, but I don't see any other machine that matches it.
 
Last edited:
Ask Dell how they fit in all the PCIe equipment.

8 lanes for the GPU
4x4 lanes for the NVMe drives
2x4 lanes for the thunderbolt 3 connections (31.52 Gbit/s not 40 Gbit/s as advertised everywere).
8+4x4+2x4=32 PCIe lanes.

The Intel Core i9-8950HK has 16 PCIe lanes.

When you like the dell and you have the money for it, go for it.
 
Call me crazy: I don't think laptops are ideal for Resolve. I think you'll get much better performance with a beefy laptop with a lot of CPU cores and at least two GPUs (like 1080ti's). I think laptops can work OK if you have very, very light duty files with minimal correction. For anything serious (particularly 5K-6K-8K Raw), you're going to need a lot more power.
 
Thanks Marc. There is a limit to how much I can travel with. Ideal isn't available. I need to move on something soon that will work good enough.
 
Back
Top