Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

ACES Proxy - what exactly am I looking at?

ACES is not all about the RRt. It is primarily about keeping source material in a scene referred linear light space with a theoretically unlimited color gamut. This is basically the same logic used for RAW capture, that is, maintaining all relevant captured information so that it can be better utilized in all display technologies known and unknown. In other words, it's more about image integrity than it is about currently displayed results.
 
ACES Proxy is a way to map the ACES floating point data into a log format so you can work with it live. We implemented ACES Proxy for testing purposes last year, but since then the format and specification has been updated, and we'll be putting out an update for that.

The ACES Proxy log curve is related to the ACEScc log curve, which means ASC CDL decisions on set can be applied in post.

Graeme

Hi Graeme, is the ACES in the Red Dragon already updated? We are trying to work with it in our next feature film. Do we need a LUT box or can we make a look like dragoncolor2 and Red Gamma 4 out for hdsdi monitor and evf and LCD our self and how can we do this in a easy way?

best regards
Robert
 
Hi Robert,

The ACES support for our cameras is up-to-date. When you enable ACES Proxy mode, the data output is correct for that camera. Yes, the update I mention above did occur and all is good.

ACES Proxy outputs AP1 colour space and the ACES Proxy log curve. You'd need a LUT box to be able to view that "properly" with an ACES Proxy to ODT transform. This is all really designed for on-set-grading of the ACES Proxy data.

Maybe I need to know a little more on what you're attempting to do with ACES to help more?

Graeme
 
Hi Robert,

The ACES support for our cameras is up-to-date. When you enable ACES Proxy mode, the data output is correct for that camera. Yes, the update I mention above did occur and all is good.

ACES Proxy outputs AP1 colour space and the ACES Proxy log curve. You'd need a LUT box to be able to view that "properly" with an ACES Proxy to ODT transform. This is all really designed for on-set-grading of the ACES Proxy data.

Maybe I need to know a little more on what you're attempting to do with ACES to help more?

Graeme

What we want to achieve first is a good picture in our EVF and LCD as if we are working in Dragon2/Gamma 4.
We are going to use different kind of camera's, like phantom flex 4K and Red 6/8KWeapon (waiting for it) /Red Dragon.
There will be some vfx and we want to get a clear workflow and keep the grading fast and simple.

We tryed to get a look in the EVF and on the RED-LCD like if we didn't use ACES. We can't get it together.

best Robert
 
For on-set viewing, best you're going to get is the independent monitoring where you can put RG4 on the LCD and still get ACESProxy out of the HD-SDI. The colour space will be AP1 though, which is not ideal for LCD viewing. The ACES Proxy mode is really made for on-set grading, so if you're not doing that, just use ACES in post, either making your EXRs in REDCine-X or with Resolve or Baselight or whatever to get the ACES data out of the R3D.

Graeme
 
Hi!

How does the ACES workflow apply on the new internal Prores-recording? Should there be a new IDT developed? Since the "none IDT" only applies to R3Ds.
Maybe Graeme can chime in?

Thanks,
V
 
Hi there,
I have already posted this on an other tread with no luck.

I have found a strange behaviour in the way the RED Epic Dragon handle the ISO settings in Aces Proxy.
If I select "ACES Proxy” in the “Video Source” menu, ISO doesn’t change from 800 above. From 800 to 250 everything works fine and even the FLUT works in the right way.
If I select “GRADED (ACES Proxy)” or if I set a different “Video Source” and set the "Gamma Space” to "ACES Proxy", everything works fine.

I have experienced this on 3 different cameras in all the last four firmwares (6.3.47, 6.3.27, 6.3.17 and 6.2.57).

Has anyone run into the same problem?
 
Thanks Davide. I've passed this onto engineering.

Graeme
 
Hi Graeme,

You are welcome.
I'm shooting a Netflix series in ACES here in Italy.
At the moment we have two to three cameras in RLF Video Space, Graded RG4 on the onboard monitors and neutral on SDI.
I would like to do a live grading in ACES Proxy and use the CDLs for the On Set delivery and to have a good starting point when we'll do the color grading.
Unfortunately, I can't send a flat image on the onboard monitors and the DP would like to handle the ISO during the shoot. So at the moment we have to set the RLF on set and make the CDLs in ACES on Resolve when we download the R3D files.
If I were able to do the live grading in ACES, it would speed up our workflow and the DP would be able to make better decision on set.
Do you have any workaround to solve this problem?

Thanks
Davide
 
Back
Top