Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Accessing Different Timecodes

chriso

New member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
We are working on a project that has been edited using time of day timecode.

We've now realised that the timecode that has been setup in the camera as the primary timecode is the edge code. Our problem is that when conforming the offlines in redcine we only have access to the edge code timecode which does not match the time of day timecode used for the edit.

Is there any way we can now use or access the TOD timecode to perform the conform in Redcine?

Thanks in advance
 
2 options:

1)reimport all proxies using log and transfer plugin which will automatically use TOD. Manually relink sequence to these new clips. - then go to redcine.

2) Use your existing sequence and use Crimson (it reconnects to the clip not just the timecode) then go to redcine from there.

Regards

Jeff brown
RED708
 
Thanks for your reply Jeff.

We used Log & Transfer to pull in the original camera takes & that is what got us into trouble. Before we imported the files directly into FCP & this problem didn't occur as we got the edge code instead, presumably because this is the primary code in the camera. IMHO FCP should default to the cameras primary code so this problem doesn't occur.

I'm not sure if we can use option 1 unless we try & reverse the process by directly importing the proxies into FCP (to get the edge code) & then manually relink, as we now want to use the edge code because we cannot access the TOD code in Redcine.

I can't see anywhere in Crimson where I can tell it to use/swap to edge code instead of TOD. At the moment it exports with TOD.

I was hoping to be able to access TOD in Redcine. At the moment edge code only is available in Redcine.
 
BTW I probably should have added that the edit has been performed in Avid, FCP was only used to import the red files & then output. This has made fixing the problem more difficult.
 
Don't all clips start at 00:00:00:00 when not using time of day? In Avid, use AuxTC column and enter that value for sources, then export EDL based on that column instead of START in EDL Manager.


Michael
 
So I think I've got this straight...

You imported using log and transfer so ended up with TOD even though in camera you shot with Edgecode.
If you then took this to AVid imported via metacheater and are attempting to go straight back to Redcine with a TOD EDL (manual pull presumably...) then yes you have no visual reference for the edl in redcine.

The only way I can see you getting back to it is to do back via FCP and Crimson. SO:

EDL from AVID using the RED16 EDL template (from staticpictures.com where you get metacheater)
Open that EDL in FCP and then export via Crimson.
Crimson links to the file names but is able to see the TC as either TOD or edge (make sure you have the latest version 9.2D I think in order to see it)
This will get you your REDcine pull xml (or better still render with redline straight out of Redline within Crimson - background renders and less prone to crashing...)

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers

Jeff Brown
RED708
 
Back
Top