Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

8K SCI-FI (Not Weapon)

Luke Neumann

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
819
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Oregon, USA
Website
www.neumannfilms.net
Filmed in 6K FF with a 1.3x anamorphic lens. Instead of scaling down vertical resolution I scaled up horizontal by 130%. I figure, future proof the work as much as possible...you can always deliver the solid 4K and it's passable at 8K.

 
Interesting...I guess that makes sense though. I can live with that, it doesn't seem like too bad of a trade off.
( i doubt you have hardly any vertical lines in this trailer)

I really like the shot where the guy in the space suite is walking in some high planes desert, where is that ?
 
( i doubt you have hardly any vertical lines in this trailer)

I really like the shot where the guy in the space suite is walking in some high planes desert, where is that ?

True!

That is in South East Oregon in the Alvord Desert. Awesome spot...similar to Bonneville Salt Flats but no crowds :)
 
IN A WORLD... where Arri is universally praised for it's in-camera uprezzing and processing in the new Alexas and Amiras. Why the hell not?
 
Great shots!

But please don't upload with bar scope (See attachment)...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150622_124141.jpg
    IMG_20150622_124141.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
YouTube player is 16x9 so that must be coming from your monitor. Haven't seen that on any of my devices before :)

Any of your device is 2.35 native (21/9) ? Mine is ;) It's not a big deal since most of people screen is 16/9 but it's frustrating to have a beautiful 2.35 monitor and a beautiful 2.35 teaser and not be able to watch at it's full potential !
 
Any of your device is 2.35 native (21/9) ? Mine is ;) It's not a big deal since most of people screen is 16/9 but it's frustrating to have a beautiful 2.35 monitor and a beautiful 2.35 teaser and not be able to watch at it's full potential !

No, unfortunately none of my devices are 21/9. You'd need the original file to view it properly then, or Vimeo I suppose.
 
What's with the washed out blacks? :(
Is it coded correctly for the web? Need to check that out I think. Otherwise nice looking :)
 
What's with the washed out blacks? :(
Is it coded correctly for the web? Need to check that out I think. Otherwise nice looking :)

I just noticed that on another video on our channel too. Something weird going on over on the YouTube side...the aspect ratio lines and the opening logo should all be completely black...and they were up until a little while ago.

Huh...wonder what that could be.

EDIT

It has something to do with the videos that are in 8K.

Ghost Towns in 8K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLprVF6d7Ug


And then the same opening logo in a non 8K video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAJfDBomx2Y
 
What's with the washed out blacks? :(
Is it coded correctly for the web? Need to check that out I think. Otherwise nice looking :)

Not sure if it's the same thing you're experiencing, but I've been getting washed-out blacks from Youtube's HTML5 video player for weeks now when using the Mozilla Firefox web browser.

Internet Explorer is okay though.

A solution I found for getting solid blacks with Firefox was to install an add-on that forces Youtube to use Adobe's Flash Player.

Having said that, Luke's 8K 'Ghost Towns' video consistently crashes the Flash Player playing at 4K, which is the highest Flash Player option (though playing at 2k is alright), while the 4K 'Nature' one plays fine at 4K using the Flash Player...:crazy:
 
YouTube, in my experience, has been horrible for accurate colors. It looks different on each browser, even in the same OS. Vimeo is the only place for high quality videos like these, IMO.
 
Back
Top