Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

5K vs. 4K...

Since a light hearted distraction might be in order... on the subject of frame rate. A bunch of us got together with Ted Schilowicz the other night and he described, from the conversations he has had with Jackson and Cameron, one of the major reasons why they are looking at 48 fps. I found it interesting.

One of the major audiences for movies, especially like The Hobbit, are teenage (~16 year old) boys. These days, that group spends a TON of time playing video games; which DON'T happen to refresh the screen at a mere 24 fps but many times more. So, they - the up and coming movie audience of the future - will be TOTALLY comfortable looking at 48 fps or even 96 or more - in fact, they prefer it. Ted said that it took him about 20 minutes for his "old" mind to adjus,t but eventually it felt comfortable to him as well.

So, those of us with "old" 24fps-indoctrinated brains may be slow to "get it" or maybe we never do. But, we aren't the target. Life, and culture, moves on.

Funny.
We had discussions about this on these boards with same (and other) factors mentioned, years before Cameron and Jackson made it "interesting".
 
+1
great answer Nick

Thanks Cid!


I can't wait until Directors start experimenting with different speeds for different scenes characters etc.

Funny you say that. I have an unrequited obsession with shooting at the Charlie Chaplin "silent era" 18fps...much more so than I do at 48 or 60.

This also brings up the fact that I never advertise that I'm a director on reduser, but that's a whole other story, haha. :laugh:
 
I think Mr Jannard made a huge mistake with 4k. it's not 4k, but 8k that has the future.
Perhaps it was due technology not being capable of supporting more than 4k at the time, but once the resolution war from tablets and smartphones blows over to TV land, 4k is done for.


8k will be last station in terms of resolution. From there on i think the focus will be contrast, colors and so on.
 
well considering film is around 4k and that was his goal I'm not certain of that but to each their own. Plus remember Sony's F65 is still only a 4k camera so the only 8k camera in existence that we know of (I think) is the NHK prototype camera they have been showing for years.

matching film not replacing it not totally mimicking every aspect but getting as close as a digital format can to and analogue one is the first goal. Then going beyond that into the realm of Imax and beyond, as red has plans for and has for years.

4k is a great digital equivalent for 35mm motion picture film. Was 1080 utter trash, no, but it is a shame that future generation's will have to watch a low(er) res version of movies that could very well have just been shot on film and been much more future proof.
 
Somehow, I don't think Mr. Jannard is planning on resting at 4K, or anywhere else, any time soon. :smiley:
 
Fun fact:

ARRI Alexa is that popular bcuz of:

edit friendly ProRes to a simple storage media

footage looks just awesome / has great dynamic range

solid / reliable / "easy to use"

oh and it has an ARRI sign on the side

...nobody cares about that its "only" a 1080p camera in the end ;)

You forgot Roger Deakins
 
Poor, Michael P. Schmidt seems to be the only one not getting it. He's probably one of the people who tried so hard to convince the industry that 1080p was good enough.
Your offense toward Jim is blinding you brother. I thought everyone knew by now that Jim is not interested in fitting in. I love that about the guy.
 
Fun fact:

ARRI Alexa is that popular bcuz of:

edit friendly ProRes to a simple storage media

footage looks just awesome / has great dynamic range

solid / reliable / "easy to use"

oh and it has an ARRI sign on the side

...nobody cares about that its "only" a 1080p camera in the end ;)


I care...
 
Fun fact:

ARRI Alexa is that popular bcuz of:

edit friendly ProRes to a simple storage media

footage looks just awesome / has great dynamic range

solid / reliable / "easy to use"

oh and it has an ARRI sign on the side

...nobody cares about that its "only" a 1080p camera in the end ;)

I also care very much!!!!!
 
Love this :D

The maths says it's possible...

4K @ 30fps (Scarlet Current Max Data Throughput)
4096*2160 = 8847360 pixels * 30fps = 265420800 pixels per second

5K Widescreen (2.37:1) @ 24fps
5120x2160 = 11059200 pixels * 24fps = 265420800 pixels per second

Having said that, I'm in PAL land so 24fps isn't all that useful for me :'(

5KWS is kind of useless for PAL as well. If you shoot 5KWS - chances are you are shooting for theatrical - and here 24P is everything...

Enabling this will push Scarlet into 5K motion category - very much in line of this post.
Perhaps that is (at least partially) what this post is about...

The ball is in Your own court Jim - start preaching vine... ;o)

Peter
 
Back
Top