Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

4k Tiff Sequence

Rainer Fritz

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
1,160
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Vienna
Website
www.aacamera.org
Hi !

Have here again the problem as in build 74 to get a strange exporting Tiffs from Redcine. Looks very strange. After that imported in AfterEffects and looks really dark.....

What is the problem???

thx
rainer
 
Did you try to import into QT7.3 Pro?

I had same problem but showed no problem when importing in QT.
I don't know if this is a bit depth problem?

Pat
 
this gray "negative" picture is out of quicktime ! wanted to save a proxy file to the picture sequence. so it is not AE. AE works great with the 4k resolution. also i can open the proxies generated by the cam. thats also very nice.
but the tiffs looking not so nice.
 
Either one is valid but your import program should support both on reading. See if there is an option. That's assuming it's a byte ordering problem. So far we haven't seen any compatibility problems with Tiff.

Also, can you try the latest release? (build 82)
 
Check the alpha channel and how it's being interpreted in AE. I just did a quick test and it looks like bright areas are opaque in the alpha and darker areas are partially transparent. If your background color is black, that could be the reason for the dark image, and also why it looks bright in the finder/quicktime; I believe it comps the image over white for its display.

Why there is information in the alpha, or an alpha at all I don't know, I'd call it a bug. It might be a setting in RedCine that I don't know about - I haven't used it much.

So if you ignore alpha, I think it will look correct - hope that helps

Dennis Wilkins
 
Deenan.
I had the exact same issue. Same type of "negative" picture.
OS X.
Latest build.
QT 7.3
Harry
 
I have seen this, too in two different variations.

1. Like this, but Photoshop (not preview) would open it right. (I guess that's the byteorder thingy)

2. Totally garbled (That's with the new grephics update in Leopard, still QT 7.3.1, though)

Gunleik
 
In Photoshop, the file looks fine but in Preview on osx it looks funky.
The alpha channel PS is something we're looking into and could be what's confusing Preview.
 
I do not have any problem with tiffs from Redcine to After effects.

The file used here is from the R3D file provided here online by Concrete.

Here we go:

4K_AE_TIFF1.jpg

A part of snap shot from AE with TIFF from Redcine.
Here you could download info .xmp file about that TIFF.
Open this .xmp file in any text editor to read the info.

Also you could download a short 4K movie (21.5 MB) exported from After Effects below

4K (2:1) Apple Uncompressed 4:2:2 output movie from AE>>>Redcine_Tiff_AE_4Kout.mov

Here are the specifications about software and hardware used in this test:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 9 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP21.007F.B06
SMC Version: 1.15f3

ATI Radeon X1900 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7249
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-202
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.202
Displays:
Cinema HD Display:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Cinema HD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported



Software Overview:


Adobe After Effects CS3:

Version: 8.0.2
Last Modified: 1/28/08 11:12 AM
Kind: Universal
Location: /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS3/Adobe After Effects CS3.app

QuickTime Player:

Version: 7.4.1
Last Modified: 2/7/08 1:10 AM
Kind: Universal
Get Info String: 7.4.1, Copyright © 1989-2008 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved

RedCine:

Version: 1.22
Last Modified: 1/15/08 12:39 PM
Kind: Intel
Location: /Applications/RedCine/RedCine.app
Location: /Applications/QuickTime Player.app
 
I have seen this, too in two different variations.

1. Like this, but Photoshop (not preview) would open it right. (I guess that's the byteorder thingy)

Gunleik

Gunleik,

Photoshop doesn't apply the alpha. If you look at the channels palette though, you'll see the alpha that Preview (and After Effects - If you interpret it with alpha - the default), is applying and thus causing the density shifts.

Sanjin,

It's interesting that your Tiff has an alpha too (being interpreted as Straight in your project). It appears that your alpha must be fully opaque. You can double check this by having the comp selected and hitting option(alt) - 4

I sent a file to Deanan and he's aware of the problem.

IMHO, there shouldn't be an alpha in these files, it is causing problems, and it increases file-size unnecessarily.

Dennis Wilkins
 
Rainer,

I don't understand what do you need EXACTLY?

But I did 4K export from AE in QT with compression "NONE" that should be f***'n tiif in QT if you need that.

Here is the file to download>>

Christina1.mov

If you need something else, please contact me tomorrow, I go to bed now.
 
might be a pc vs mac byte ordering...

No way, reversing the order between big/little endian would sill look interesting , I use the technique in one fo my custom Hollywood Night/Day4Night filters, every editor should have an endian button, right next to the invert button.
 
Back
Top