Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

3-axis Gimbal for Weapon CF MOVI/RONIN/ACR/CAME ?

Raphael_Carpenter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2016
Messages
1,005
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
London, UK
Website
cinematographer.uk
My name is Raphael and I'm Photographer, Cinematographer and Steadicam op based in UK.
Recently upgraded my cameras to lightweight model (Weapon Carbon) and just thinking about 3-axis gimbal.
Red Weapon CF (3.3lbs)
DSMC2 Base Expander (0.45lbs)
DJI Focus motor(0.38lbs)
Cooke mini s4/i (3.08lbs)
---------------------------------------------
total weight = 7.20lbs
What's you suggestion: M10 is enough for or M15 is a must?
All advice welcome ;)
 
You can make those lenses work with a CF Weapon and Cooke Minis for sure - but you may need to counter weight the back of the camera for the heavier/longer lenses. I've made Summilux C work on an M10, but it required counterweight.

The other way to go would be to sell the Cooke Minis and get an even lighter set of primes.

In an ideal world, gimbals aren't bigger than an M10 and if you plan on doing 'free hand' operating you don't want to have more weight/dimension than is required.
 
My name is Raphael and I'm Photographer, Cinematographer and Steadicam op based in UK.
Recently upgraded my cameras to lightweight model (Weapon Carbon) and just thinking about 3-axis gimbal.
Red Weapon CF (3.3lbs)
DSMC2 Base Expander (0.45lbs)
DJI Focus motor(0.38lbs)
Cooke mini s4/i (3.08lbs)
---------------------------------------------
total weight = 7.20lbs
What's you suggestion: M10 is enough for or M15 is a must?
All advice welcome ;)


I've just shot for 3 days with almost 9 pounds on the M10 and it worked very well. I had a Paralinx with shield, WC top plate, RT Motion latitude receiver + motor on a Weapon Mg.

We used the Celere lenses that are 1050gr each, wich was really really great. So I think you need some sort of counter-balance on the back of the camera for mini S4s as they weight a bit more.
 
ijWQDXf.png

a9Ryg2E.png

u0R1NoJ.png


This is a setup for the 35mm - the longer the lens the farther out the CoG of the lens, meaning you'll need to add more counterweight.

My solution for the M10 was to put a battery for the follow focus on the back of the camera. Back then we were using the RED volts which isn't as counterweighted as the side mount for v-locks - I think you'll be okay with that (notwithstanding mattebox and filters) but may have to add additional counterweight for the longer/heavier lenses - and it might become intractable with filters.

All of this counterweight kind of spoils the advantage of the M10 which is its lightness and agility, IMO.
 
I see what you mean Brett. Just thinking to myself maybe is better to use XL module and XL REDVOLT as a counterweight on back? is there enough space for camera with module+XL battery?
XL battery - 1.6lbs
Xl module - 1lbs

rear middle front
1.6+1 | 3.3 | 3.08+0.38
 
Raphael, we operate an M15 and have found that in addition to the increase in max payload it brings some other benefits such as the elongated pan axis and dual pan tubes. The extra length is a welcome addition when one starts adding longer lenses and batteries and therefore starts pushing the camera backwards to find the CG. The dual pan tubes make a big difference in Y axis stiffness where it counts - e.g. operating off a vehicle.
 
Good point about the vehicle work - however with a good isolator this is less important, and the updated m10 has a stronger pan bar (radially locked now) so this is less of an issue.

Ultimately if you want heavier setups you go for a bigger gimbal (rather than counterweight).

The exception to this rule is a vest-suspension setup whereby the additional weight necessitating camera support can be counterweighted to bring the CoG of the rig closer to one's body. The M15 does adjust but not so much so that it becomes as compact as an M10.
 
I see what you mean Brett. Just thinking to myself maybe is better to use XL module and XL REDVOLT as a counterweight on back? is there enough space for camera with module+XL battery?
XL battery - 1.6lbs
Xl module - 1lbs

rear middle front
1.6+1 | 3.3 | 3.08+0.38

You'll want a side mount Raphael, but there's not one yet for the DSMC2 system. Adding length to the back defeats the purpose unless that weight is thin and dense enough, and your front weight isn't too extensive. I'd guess that the depth of the XL battery would defeat the benefit of its counterweight. That's why the side mount was introduced.
 
Can the M15 handle payloads over 15lbs? If I want to use anamorpic glass then my set up gets close to 16lbs. Can this work or is 15lbs the absolute max?
 
Yes it can - Freefly have over-engineered for that spec. - but with potentially limited functionality - it can go a fair way over 6.8kg - just looking at it you can probably tell that structurally, it can support more than that weight, and if the CoG of that weight is balanced then the motors will function as per usual, albeit at reduced capacity. It's very shot-dependant - the more active the camera move the less likely it will work.
 
I don't get it Brett? You think is pointless to mount battery on the side? Still have Epic-m but invested for Weapon CF because of weight (and Helium upgrade)-I'm getting old and not sure how long I will be able to fly with heavy cameras on Steadi.
 
Hmm,

Here is a quick answer to your question.

My go to set up

Epic dragon+ V mount battery 250wh (Heavy) + Canon mount + 15-30 Tamron zoom lens(1.5kg) + 6x6 filter holder (350g) + Single ND(150g) + DJI focus + M10 battery

I always work like this, and it really works well for me. I usally put one M10 Battery bottom of V mount battery to push it forward and it works fine to me.
 
Hmm,

Here is a quick answer to your question.

My go to set up (M10)

Epic dragon+ V mount battery 250wh (Heavy) + Canon mount + 15-30 Tamron zoom lens(1.5kg) + 6x6 filter holder (350g) + Single ND(150g) + DJI focus + M10 battery

I always work like this, and it really works well for me. I usally put one M10 Battery bottom of V mount battery to push it forward and it works fine to me.
 
Back
Top