- Moderator
- #21
Jeff Kilgroe
Well-known member
@ offhollywood: Interesting tidbits there, Mark... And you're even specifying a date? Hmmmm... Oh, and Adobe on the Mac...? Really? 'Cuz CS3 on the Mac is a dog compared to CS3 on Vista 64. :shiftyph34r:
Just looking at the numbers, I would agree, but... Most of the horsepower under the hood of these current Mac towers goes unused. It's a software issue and with the upcoming Nehalem CPUs, Intel has really been beating their drum , telling developers to get serious about multiprocessor computing. The race for more cores is the new MHz race and right now, the software is lagging behind on a massive scale.
Oh, and what do you mean there is no eSATA ability? I have eSATA HBAs in all my Macs. You can also pipe the two ODD SATA ports on a Mac Pro out the rear and use them as eSATA. Although, the OS doesn't like to recognize them as external in most situations, due to how they're defined in the EFI entries.
Anyway, I still stand by my laptop suggestion. But if you can hold out to the end of september, then it may be worth it. I would just hope that Mark is right. I'd hate to wait a month and then find out this new wonderful thing is delayed or something. When it all comes down to it, if you need it you will have to buy it and sometimes you just can't wait.
If you really need an interim computer I actually think the highest end iMac with 4 gig of ram is a pretty good solution. It gives you more horsepower and graphics for the buck than the laptops, and yet still can be somewhat portable. The only down side is that there is no eSata ability.
Just looking at the numbers, I would agree, but... Most of the horsepower under the hood of these current Mac towers goes unused. It's a software issue and with the upcoming Nehalem CPUs, Intel has really been beating their drum , telling developers to get serious about multiprocessor computing. The race for more cores is the new MHz race and right now, the software is lagging behind on a massive scale.
Oh, and what do you mean there is no eSATA ability? I have eSATA HBAs in all my Macs. You can also pipe the two ODD SATA ports on a Mac Pro out the rear and use them as eSATA. Although, the OS doesn't like to recognize them as external in most situations, due to how they're defined in the EFI entries.
Anyway, I still stand by my laptop suggestion. But if you can hold out to the end of september, then it may be worth it. I would just hope that Mark is right. I'd hate to wait a month and then find out this new wonderful thing is delayed or something. When it all comes down to it, if you need it you will have to buy it and sometimes you just can't wait.