Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Reopen stage 2 due to delays

Ivan G

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,625
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
50
Location
Detroit, Mi
Website
www.rossofilms.com
I really would like to upgrade to the MX now that Epic is pushed back once again. Is anyone else that currently owns the M sensor feel the same?
 
I really would like to upgrade to the MX now that Epic is pushed back once again. Is anyone else that currently owns the M sensor feel the same?
Or maybe allow someone with an un-executed R-1 M purchase a new R-1 with MX sensor for the price of the original R-1 with old MX upgrade price. Then, when Stage 3 rolls around the customer could trade in their old R-1 with M sensor for a Stage 3 Epic X. That way, no Epic X customers' delivery schedules are interrupted and RED continues to send new R-1s out the door.

Just looking for a middle ground here.
 
only Jim can decide that....but, there was a time for decisions, and those that made the decision to put down the USD 5K months ago (like me) should not be harmed because some did not make the correct decision when they had the same opportunity as us.
 
I agree Antonio,

There was no more certainty about release dates back when the original deadline was reached. And we've all had 5k on account at RED securing that decision.

Everybody had the same opportunity.

I'm sorry some are unhappy with their decision, but there is no reason to reopen this issue.

Particularly given that I'm unaware of any information that indicates that "Epic has been pushed back once again"

We've been given more upgrade options that have every been provided by any other camera company. We need to quit bugging RED to give us yet another better deal.

Just one mans opinion,

Steve
 
EPIC is going to be EPIC, I'd be kicking myself too if I had not thrown down $.
CAN NOT WAIT to have 5K @120FPS and 4K Full DEBAYER MASTER for our DI PIPELINE.
 
Not everyone is in the same boat - being stage 3.5 (by a matter of a few days), I still decided to suck it up and upgrade to MX. It is a shame that when EPIC arrives I'm not going to get anything extra back for the MX upgrade, but Jim makes the rules...
 
Last edited:
I'm assuming Ivan (and others) would be happy to go to the end of the stage 2 queue, so what is the problem?

RED get another MX sale, they have another R1-MX in the field showcasing their tech and also don't have an R1-M on the way to be traded for stage 3.

I don't see a downside.
 
I'm assuming Ivan (and others) would be happy to go to the end of the stage 2 queue, so what is the problem?

RED get another MX sale, they have another R1-MX in the field showcasing their tech and also don't have an R1-M on the way to be traded for stage 3.

I don't see a downside.
The problem with that is that those with Stage 3 cameras (disclaimer: I'm both Stage 2 and Stage 3) would likely be pushed further back in the line for getting our Stage 3 camera.
 
I have to agree with Elsie. The window for Stage-2 has passed. It was a short opt-in period to see who was both able and serious. To re-open the queue now would introduce new issues/concerns I think. Stage-2 was a litmus test of sorts to gauge initial production quantities, I'm sure. That's why anyone who ducks out of Stage-2 loses their upgrade option. They can have their money back, but their camera remains executed and they go to the back of the line, just as if they bought their RED One today. So mucking about with the existing Stage-2 group seems like a bad thing to do... IMO.

If RED does decide to re-open Stage-2, then I think they should make it more of a Stage-2.5 thing. After Stage-2 / before stage-3... Probably not quite as good a deal as Stage-2, but you still get to keep your RED, etc.. But there's still the concern for those who have decided on Stage-3. Who may view this as a chance for a bunch more people to jump the line ahead of them. As Elsie points out.
 
Last edited:
I will board on a stage 2.5 and keep my R1.
Come´on RED :)
 
I don't think it's fair to those of us who plucked down $5,000 earlier this year to re-open stage 2. RED has always been about if you take a gamble, then it pays off. To re-open stage 2 says to those of us who put down money, that we could have waited to see how things play out. Now, if RED in stage three offered people to keep their cameras for so much $$$, then I'd be okay with that. But there shouldn't really be any line jumping in stage three if you want to keep your camera.

Matthew
 
Opening up Stage-2 wouldn't exactly be fair to those of us that fought to find the funds for the deposit in time before july 1st. The Stage 2.5 might be a good idea, though. Not too sure Stage-3'ers would think so tho ;-)
 
What's all this "it is not fair on us" talk? .... surely if it was deemed good by RED, it is good for you?

To keep it very fair... Maybe those that opted in to a "stage 2.5" keep their serial # position as it would have been for stage 3. Basically, they are still stage 3 in terms of delivery... just get the stage 2 deal?
 
I kinda like Matthew's suggestion. When a customer's number comes up for Stage-3 delivery, which should be by serial number and original delivery date, then give them the option of trading in their RED or paying a bit more to keep it. I don't know if RED would go for it, but that seems fair to me.

Either way, Stage-2 was, is and still should be the best deal going and that's why it was a limited time offer.
 
What's all this "it is not fair on us" talk? .... surely if it was deemed good by RED, it is good for you?

To keep it very fair... Maybe those that opted in to a "stage 2.5" keep their serial # position as it would have been for stage 3. Basically, they are still stage 3 in terms of delivery... just get the stage 2 deal?
Or better yet (vis a vis what's in my best interest) move them to the back of the Stage 3 line. They get to upgrade to MX, they get to keep their MX R-1, but they wait a little longer for their Epic.

EDIT: That is actually NOT in my best interest because if I were to decide to MX my current M sensored Stage 3 R-1, it would be better if I kept my place in the Epic line. But I've already said what I think is fair so I won't go back on that.
 
Back
Top