Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Where would I find a location audio recording expert that won't break my budget?

Stephen Pruitt

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
3,309
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Website
www.thetreemotionpicture.com
Hi all. . .

To some, this will seem like a ridiculous post. . . others, however, will sympathize with my plight.

I'm going to be shooting a low-budget ($50,000 to $100,000 total, not counting equipment purchases and rentals) feature this coming summer. I have the video side of the story covered with two REDs (and possibly three REDs!) and a bright young film school DP. What I DON'T have covered at all is the audio side of the ledger.

I'm looking to hire a bright, young, responsible individual to both build the audio workflow into something completely workable AND capture first rate cinema-quality sound on location. We will not be filming on sound stages. We'll be in a lot of unusual locations, some of which will be challenging. I need someone who can put the audio side together with great expertise and give me a really high-quality sound.

I have some fine audio gear to work with, including a Sound Devices 442 mixer, two Schoeps CMC64s (stereo pair), and a carbon fiber boom mounted Schoeps CMC641 with full Rycote protection. I also have two Lectrosonics wireless systems (UM200C and UCR201) with Lectrosonic M-150 and Countryman B6 microphones. The Countrymans can also operate wired. I am willing to purchase additiional gear, such as a field recorder (Sound Devices 744T), but will only do so if I am convinced it's necessary.

Okay. . . enough of the background. Here's the question:

Can anyone recommend a great, truly expert young sound recording specialist that might be willing to work for 6 weeks for no more than $5000? I know the pay is ridiculously low, but I'll be breaking my budget at that. Since this is a Christian-oriented film, I'm looking for people who won't be bringing a lot of baggage that might be controversial on the set.

So, basically, I'm looking for the moon: A truly superb audio specialist who is willing to work on a feature for peanuts, who won't cause us any problems. In other words, I'm looking for the RED One of audio specialists.

The movie is being shot in Kansas.

If you can recommend someone, please email their name and contact information. If you can at least tell me where great young audio specialists are known to congregrate, please email me that information. If you think I'm dead meat and that no such thing exists, well, please just be kind with your public posts.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Stephen
 
My friend, if I still lived in San Diego, I would be on that like... well, you can imagine your own metaphor. Best of luck!

You could try the film schools in and around Kansas?
 
Have you ever tried to do audio mixing yourself? It's very hard to both mix and boom op at the same time, especially from hours 8 to 12. I'd recommend hiring a couple of local film students/church kids and teaching them how to use your gear.
 
The movie is being shot in Kansas.

If you think I'm dead meat and that no such thing exists, well, please just be kind with your public posts.

Stephen[/QUOTE]

You're dead meat:wink: ! Stephen I can help you out a few of the six weeks I'm not that young but I have a good two decades and a half doing live and studio sound so I know a thing or two about audio and work flow LOL! I'll call you in the next few days!

The Other Red in Kansas !


Learvis
 
You need someone upfront that knows audio to help plan: the stems, scout locations, run tests, figure out the equipment, work flow, do the recording, archive, take audio notes, etc. Audio needs to be included in the pre- production planning phase so it get's the attention it needs. If not, you'll bust the bank on post clean up.

Check with the Kansas state film office for locating talent.

Good luck!
 
If you really need students call Kevin here's his info:

Kevin Willmott, Assistant Professor in the Film Studies Department of Kansas University.

The University of Kansas
Department of Theatre and Film
Oldfather Studios
1621 W. 9th Street, Room 218
Lawrence, KS 66044
Phone: 785-864-1350
Fax: 785-331-2671
email: willmott@ku.edu

Tell him Lee from Wichita sent you! Oh and finally my 50th post!
 
Any young person starting out would die for the chance to work on a feature film for that much money and with the sort of gear you have. Schools might be a place to look, but for what you can provide I'd say that people done with school and already with some solid experience would be interested. I suggest that you post your notice on RAMPS (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/) and perhaps also some of the DV user forums.

Philip Perkins CAS
 
Great idea, Philip. . . I'm posting right now.

Thanks very much.

Stephen
 
Back
Top