Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Still no solution for Red One MX 120fr crop issue?

Pekka Varis

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi!

I know Red One MX cameras cannot use the full area of lense when 2K or 3K are selected. It crops the image.
Has there been any solution / update for this problem? Or do I just have to buy a special (say, zeiss 16 superspeed) lens for my 120fr/2K shots and light them up bright?

Besides this issue, I love the camera very much - also the weight!!
Yesterday I shoted most beutiful material from a Cream styled progressive trio in Finnish music studio.

Pekka Varis
 
You are correct, the 2K and 3K are cropped modes, so you will have to plan your lenses accordingly to handle FOV and also the inherent softness that results from cropping in on the sensor rather than a scaled 2k or 3k. A sharp lens may be your friend here. I'm actually going to be revisiting 3K mode soon to test Sigma 18-35 and Sigma 50 Art to see if this may produce a nice 40-48fps image. These lenses are very sharp, even wide open.
 
Hi Pekka,

As Steve mentioned, it's not a "problem", it's just the way the camera is designed... But as long as you get familiar with the crop factor and the look (and accept that it will be different than your 4K normal speed footage) you can get some very cool results with 2K at the higher frame rates. Also, even when exposed properly, the high-speed footage will be somewhat noisier, which I understand has to do with the sensor being sampled faster. So just don't expect it to look like Phantom Flex footage...:wink5:

I find the 3K resolutions are a great, often overlooked midway setting for those 48/50 fps half-speed shots. The image is still quite clean, you get plenty of extra oversampling resolution for a 1080p finish and the crop factor is not that extreme. Also, the 3K material seems to match 4K shots much better.

Have fun and welcome to the R1MX!��
 
Back
Top