Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scratch Audio: Ronin & Dragon

Andrew Allsbury

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
508
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Boise, Idaho
Hey what are you guys using for on camera scratch audio when pairing the Ronin and Dragon? I have tried every which way I can to mount a shotgun on the Dragon and balance to no avail, the button mics red talked about way back when would have been perfect, but does anyone else have an idea?
 
I have two Olympus ME 52Ws ($13ea) that live on the camera as scratch mics. And I put a little double stick scotch tape on the inside of the tiny windscreen to keep it on the mic, semi-permanently. And I gain one mic channel up higher than the other.

Nice little all black button mics, that you don't even know are there. It works well for me. And it's easily popped off if need be, for my shotgun or wireless mics..
 
Last edited:
Wow, looks perfect...just ordered one, thanks!
 
Yeah, I thought the Olympus button mics were essential kit... Like a W00den Camera A-Box and AB/V-mount battery plate... I'm kind of a stickler for on-camera scratch track -- it's in every digital camera, it's free, and it's a really great failsafe.
 
So if you put 2 on the front, that give you stereo? stupid question I know lol

just one is neccessary. you don't really get a "stereo effect" with two, I think you have to be further apart. but they are so cheap, I bought an extra as a BU. And why not just let them both live on the camera. You're going to hear fan noise so it's really not usable... (but could be used as BTS) there's a little 1/8 cable that comes with it, incase you want to get better scratch audio and away from the fans. but for me it's easier to pop on my Sennheiser MKE 600, only about $300 and attach it up top if I want decent audio. Most DPs don't want to bother, refuse or even understand recording any kind of audio, but being a guy who edits as well, I think recording scratch audio is so essential... also that's why I have an extra one incase I rent an extra Red Camera with no button mic.
 
Last edited:
just one is neccessary. you don't really get a "stereo effect" with two, I think you have to be further apart. but they are so cheap, I bought an extra as a BU. And why not just let them both live on the camera. You're going to hear fan noise so it's really not usable... (but could be used as BTS) there's a little 1/8 cable that comes with it, incase you want to get better scratch audio and away from the fans. but for me it's easier to pop on my Sennheiser MKE 600, only about $300 and attach it up top if I want decent audio. Most DPs don't want to bother, refuse or even understand recording any kind of audio, but being a guy who edits as well, I think recording scratch audio is so essential... also that's why I have an extra one incase I rent an extra Red Camera with no button mic.

awesome, just ordered one, great solution for scratch audio
 
Back
Top