Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

ScarletW_No Focus or definition on image 5K 100% 1:1

Joined
Mar 30, 2014
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Madird, Spain
Hi,

I received my scarletw, but am I doing something wrong?
I can not get clean focus and sharp image.
I have tested with Zeiss CP2 lenses, Lock CIrcle, Xeen, Canon.
Archive 5kR3D
The result is the same. Image NO Sharp in original file.
Is this normal? Do you need a post-production editing focus to make the image correct?

It is normal for my work to mount on 1080 project and move the 5k background. But this I can not do because I do not see a clean and defined image.
Anyone working with scarletw who could send me an original r3d file of good focus to compare with my camera?

Jesus Cano
ph@movistar.es

Download original file : https://we.tl/BvFxnfoE2P
 
Opening up the R3D in RCX it looks fine. My guess is you're not viewing the full quality but a 1/4 or even 1/8 resolution on playback. Make sure within your editor that you have it set to best quality vs better performance or within RCX - Full Quality.
 
It is in full view mode. It is the same in Redcine as Premier or Davinci editors.
I'm a little disappointed, as I do the same tests with other 4K cameras and the focus is perfect.
My distributor in Spain has confirmed that the camera is ok, taking it to a collimator.
 
The image is totally sharp. But it looks like you were shooting with a pretty wide open aperture. so only the 0 mark and a little bit around it are in focus. I would say try again but this time in a brighter setting and close your aperture down to say 9-12ish range and see if more is in focus and sharper.
 
I agree with Solomon, I'm looking at it on a 55" 4k monitor & 27" 5k retina and it appears okay, think it's in the optics.

Which lens were you using for this example? CP2s and Xeens are pretty soft wide open to around T2.8/T4, the metadata shows you were around there at f/3.2. So either stop down or get your lenses checked out.
 
First, Thanks for answering me.

For me the image is something dirty without detail. It is very good when you apply focus mascara but I thought you would not need to get a fabulous 5k clean image.
The R3D of discharge is recorded with Canon EF 35mm f / 1.4L, but I have observed the same problem with other lenses like zeiss cp2, Lock circle or Xeen recently.
You may not be accustomed to this new way of representing 5k. I come from working with cameras that sharpen edges like Canon C300, Sony A7S, Canon 5D or Nikon D810.
https://we.tl/eViqaCniZD
 
Last edited:
You could turn up the "Sharpness" in Redcine, (the same setting is "OLPF comp" in Resolve), that will counteract the softness created by the OLPF. I turn that up most of the time with R3D's.
 
Last edited:
Sharpness in redcinex is a legacy control, I wouldn't use it. Not only does it create some ugly artifacts it doesn't have a significant effect on the perceived sharpness. Also never use the legacy saturation control except to make it black and white. I think the 'noise reduction' settings looks good until a value of 2, I wound't go beyond that.

I also feel that red's raw is less sharp than raw from a canon or nikon camera, or even alexa, on a pixel level. But I believe that is because the interpretation is extremely cautious to avoid any moire or demosaic artifacts. I've never had issue getting it to or beyond canon sharpness with unsharp mask, or the newer highpass sharpening tool, or the sharpen control in resolve.

I believe the debayer in IPP2 will be substantially sharper as well. Red's newer processing and algorithms must be able to avoid artifacts like before while getting better definition.
 
R3D's have no sharpening applied as you shoot - to give you the most amount of flexibility in post possible.

However it's easily applied during grade.
 
First, Thanks for answering me.

For me the image is something dirty without detail. It is very good when you apply focus mascara but I thought you would not need to get a fabulous 5k clean image.
The R3D of discharge is recorded with Canon EF 35mm f / 1.4L, but I have observed the same problem with other lenses like zeiss cp2, Lock circle or Xeen recently.
You may not be accustomed to this new way of representing 5k. I come from working with cameras that sharpen edges like Canon C300, Sony A7S, Canon 5D or Nikon D810.
https://we.tl/eViqaCniZD

Carlos, los cameras RED no tienen "sharpening" puesto durante la grabacion. Para darte mas opciones mas tarde en post-production. Pero el sharpening es muy facil that anadir mas tarde en Redcine X, Ressolve, etc.

Buena suerte.
 
Carlos, the image is in complete focus. You could always apply an unsharp mask (preferred method) or sharpening in DaVinci. I don't know how much sharper you could possibly want it. Bear in mind, as other have previously stated, RED footage is not sharpened in-camera; the RAW footage will always look a little less sharp. It's all down to personal taste.
 
hey Carlos, Shot this with the epic-w in 6k wide 60fps and im have a hard time getting it sharp and in focus also. may be more so my grading but i geuss im still learning the camera
 
hey Carlos, Shot this with the epic-w in 6k wide 60fps and im have a hard time getting it sharp and in focus also. may be more so my grading but i geuss im still learning the camera

 
hey Carlos, Shot this with the epic-w in 6k wide 60fps and im have a hard time getting it sharp and in focus also. may be more so my grading but i geuss im still learning the camera


Hi Monserate,

That looks plenty sharp to me! Looks nice.
 
Red is softer at 1:1... I think thats partly due to quite a "heavy" olpf and due to no sharpening applied in camera. When I first got a Scarletx back in 2013 I was a bit surprised. People on this thread have mentioned good ways to sharpen in post and what to avoid. Ive personally grown to love the very 'natural' filmic detail/softness of red footage. Im often adding a black promist on top. In motion it looks awesome. Stills I think need a bit of a bump in sharpening
 
Red is softer at 1:1... I think thats partly due to quite a "heavy" olpf and due to no sharpening applied in camera. When I first got a Scarletx back in 2013 I was a bit surprised. People on this thread have mentioned good ways to sharpen in post and what to avoid. Ive personally grown to love the very 'natural' filmic detail/softness of red footage. Im often adding a black promist on top. In motion it looks awesome. Stills I think need a bit of a bump in sharpening

Yup, stills look very very nice with a bit of sharpening applied.
 
1000 thanks for answering me. It is true! The image improves to my taste when I apply mascara focus in redcineX. Origien is very soft. I will look for a lens that is somewhat harder than CP2 Zeiss or Canon. regards
 
A lot of people just beginning to shoot on RED say the same thing as they're use to the overprocessed and sharpened look of DSLRs. Carlos, I'm sure the resolvable resolution of your S-W is right where it should be and your CP.2 / Lockcircle (they're actually the SAME lenses) are more than sharp enough when stopped down.
 
i had the same feeling in 2007 with Redone at 1:1 :-)
Now, i know what a sharp lens is and the difference between sharpening in post and a "good" image. The focus is the most important factor, then the lens and the aperture.
Try a sigma ART at f4 if you want to get a perfect image for reference.
 
Back
Top