Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RedCine 3.12 for XP seems not to work in VMWare Fusion XP

Dan Carew

Active member
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've successfully installed RedCine 3.12 for XP in the XP virtual machines using VMWare Fusion on both my new MacBook Pro and my new Mac Pro. But RedCine doesn't work.

Here's what happens. The install is successful. When I launch RedCine, I get the splash/launch screen. Then the app opens full screen and all of the graphical user interface is blurred/smeared/distorted. See this screenshot
1017_1215852350.png


Has anyone else experienced this? Lucus at Assimilate or Red: any thoughts on how to fix this bug?

FYI, VMWare Fusion XP on Mac is super stable and runs thousands of PC apps without any problem.

In case anyone is wondering why I don't just run RedCine for Mac, there are 2 reasons:
a)I wanted to test outputting to Cineform 444 (4K 12-bit RGB)
b)RedCine for Mac is unacceptably buggy on the over half dozen Macs I've tested it on. Specifically, if I have over 5 clips on the RedCine (for Mac) timeline and render (to ProRes HQ) I get the "frozen frame" bug over 70% of the time. This is unacceptable and wastes countless hours of my time (and editors who work with me).

If anyone has experienced the same problem, I'd love to know. Or even better, if you have a tip or workaround, I would be most grateful! Thanks.

-Dan
 
I've successfully installed RedCine 3.12 for XP in the XP virtual machines using VMWare Fusion on both my new MacBook Pro and my new Mac Pro. But RedCine doesn't work.

Here's what happens. The install is successful. When I launch RedCine, I get the splash/launch screen. Then the app opens full screen and all of the graphical user interface is blurred/smeared/distorted. See this screenshot
1017_1215852350.png


Has anyone else experienced this? Lucus at Assimilate or Red: any thoughts on how to fix this bug?
redcine uses a lot of GPU functions - and is not properly quality assured and compatible with *many* graphics cards. VMWares GPU emulation seem to be one of them.

FYI, VMWare Fusion XP on Mac is super stable and runs thousands of PC apps without any problem.

In case anyone is wondering why I don't just run RedCine for Mac, there are 2 reasons:
a)I wanted to test outputting to Cineform 444 (4K 12-bit RGB)
b)RedCine for Mac is unacceptably buggy on the over half dozen Macs I've tested it on. Specifically, if I have over 5 clips on the RedCine (for Mac) timeline and render (to ProRes HQ) I get the "frozen frame" bug over 70% of the time. This is unacceptable and wastes countless hours of my time (and editors who work with me).

If anyone has experienced the same problem, I'd love to know. Or even better, if you have a tip or workaround, I would be most grateful! Thanks.

-Dan
Simply install Windows. Its faster than VM Ware.

We have OSX installed on some of our PCs as well.
And as Apple COmputers only sells are PCs today and nothing else, you wont have any trouble installing XP or Vista with Bootcamp.
 
Thanks for your reply, Laguun. When you say "Simply install Windows" you mean with Bootcamp, right?

Apple PC: OSX and win with bootcamp bootloader
PC: win and OSX with darwin bootloader

RC/Win prefers nvidias GPUs drivers.
 
Back
Top