Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Question for RED about Redcine...

Maz Mawlawi

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2008
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
0
Points
36
I have a question that may or may have not been asked before...Can you please explain to us why does Redcine rely on the video card to output? I can understand it needs a good video card to playback…but why for output? Is Redcine using an Open GL renderer for output? Does it not have its own renderer???
I am not sure I understand why it’s so picky and buggy when it comes to video cards? From all other software I have ever used, ranging from Softimage, AE, Premiere, Shake etc…. all of them have their own renderer thus they are way more compatible and can output anything no matter what your card is. Again, I understand the need for a good, compatible OpenGL video card for playback purposes….but I am confused on the need for output… I have done some tests with other apps (3DSMax and AE) and I can output any format on PCs that are 5 yrs old with a crappy video card…. Why can’t Redcine output successfully on a brand new PC??
 
Yes, it uses OpenGL on your card and card GPU to speedup the processing, leaving the computer CPU to do the disk I/O and other tasks.
This is the way to go for the future. Graphic card is optimized to do one thing and CPU is optimized to do the other things.
 
My understanding is that the application is optimized around a specific CPU and GPU hardware combination. Looking at the size of the executable, it is clearly an extremely compact bit of code. Considering the complex tasks, any other approach would have yielded a much slower running application.

Kevin Halverson
 
Thanks guys...hopefully they can clean up their code and make it more compatible
 
you don't really k ow what your talking about unless you have seen the redcine code firsthand.
 
Since Redcine is free, I'm thinking of the price of the right graphics card as the cost of the software, still cheap for what its doing.
 
Back
Top