Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Power connector question

Cail Young

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
1,852
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Website
www.inspirationstudios.com.au
I'm not terribly familiar with power connectors other than the 4 pin XLR I've seen here and there and the Gold Mount/V-Lock types - if I buy this:

HD10MD3.gif


Which comes with a power supply like this:

DWPU_1.jpg


Is that the fabled 'Lemo' connector, or something custom that AJA's using... If it is a lemo, is that what the RED ONE has on board as power output, or do I need a frankenrig of power connectors to drive this?
 
Good question.. I think this is just a standered 110 plug transformer. Every time I have used an AJA box I have just had to run power. But then again I think I have used one off of a power tap on a steadican shoot once..
But good question.
 
Cail, We run the Aja with our Varicams and have an adapter cable that connects from the Varicam 12V 4 pin hi-rose out to the Aja power in. Useful if your Steadicam Op doesn't have a HiDef monitor on their sled or if you need to feed SD field monitors and don't have access to mains power for the AJA.

So yes, if the Red has a standard 4 pin 12V out female hi-rose, an adapter cable should be no problem to power the Aja.

B&H has an Anton Bauer to Aja adapter cable if you want to go AB tap
http://tinyurl.com/yfmqg4
 
No matter what the connector is, it can be adapted via a cable to any connector fits your device. The voltage is the only question, and even that can be changed.

Knowing what Red is doing, I know they will be using industry standard connectors of some sort. It looks like they are using Lemo connectors. While these are not cheap, they are very high quality and easy to come by.
 
BTW, that plastic connector on the AJA boxes is the WORST thing ever. NOT to be confused with a Lemo or Fisher connector. It's very cheap and fragile. Surprising from a company like AJA that otherwise seems to do clever and robust products...
Cheers,
Harry
 
BTW, that plastic connector on the AJA boxes is the WORST thing ever. NOT to be confused with a Lemo or Fisher connector. It's very cheap and fragile. Surprising from a company like AJA that otherwise seems to do clever and robust products...
Cheers,
Harry

Good to know; it's likely going to live in the back of an on-set continuity rack, so hopefully it won't be getting bounced around too much.

Does anyone make a small downcoversion/D-to-A box that has a better power socket?
 
Back
Top