Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Motion Mount PL & Zeiss Standards

Adam Howden

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
298
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Australia
Website
adamhowden.com
Hi All,

I'm on a shoot at the moment and using some Zeiss Standards for some flashback scenes. We had limited to nil testing time but last night when trying to Mount a Zeiss Standard 32mm on my Dragon with a Motion Mount attached both my 1st AC and I felt some resistance with the lens and didn't want to force it any further.

It felt like the back of the lens was touching the glass ND in the PL Mount. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks.
 
Quite a few of the standard speeds are too long for the motion mount. Generally, I would rather avoid using standard speeds altogether. I have made a tool that allows me to pre check a lens and know with certainty whether it's safe to use or not after my motion muon was damaged by a Zeiss 12mm 2.1.
 
Not a perfect solution but I will often take my standard PL mount to check lens depths comparatively to the Motion Mount, like I said this is not a perfect solution but at least you can see whether the back of the lens is close or extends far into the throat of the mount compared to the MM.
just FYI I recently bought a Null lens to check back focus and used this process to make sure the Null lens would not extend on to the OPLF and to make sure it would clear the throat of the mount without being modified.
This is on an Epic Dragon CF.
 
What is the maximum protrusion a motion mount will accept?
 
Back
Top