Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Minimum Spec?

Stephen Webb

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
427
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.aefilms.co.uk
What's the minimum spec for playing back shots in Redcine in real time? I'm using a 2.33GHz Macbook Pro with an ATI X1600 and even the 1/4 Res Medium setting won't play back at full speed. Or am I just doing something incredibly dumb?
 
i think you need very powerfull giant Mac pro Tower .with at least 8 Gig of ram and very high speed HDDs .like Raptor with 10000 rpm ?
 
Why doesn't red publish a list of what laptops wiith what features/processors/memory etc are required for different levels of playback.... Why do I have to guess which of you guys is credible!!! This is getting very tiresome and I'm looking to NAB to expect some manuals that are more than a list of buttons... how about a RED approved work flow!!!
 
I have asked this before and there seems to be reluctance to answer this question.

David
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSAM MSSALATIE View Post
i think you need very powerfull giant Mac pro Tower .with at least 8 Gig of ram and very high speed HDDs .like Raptor with 10000 rpm ?"


"Really? Just to play back at 1/4 Res Medium? So how am I supposed to play back stuff on set?"


You need about 30MB/s in disc read speed to play back .r3d or the lower-quality QT "proxies" -both are easily handled by most single 7200rpm SATA drives.

You should be able to playback 1/4 res (about 1K) at 24fps on modern "Core 2"-based intel laptops with the right graphics cards & drivers installed.

3GB would be my "suggested minimum" memory configuration. More than 4GB is nice to have but won't help with playback speed in Redcine (or apparently FCP).
 
Back
Top