Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Matching GH4 10 bit to red log film

Steve DiMaggio

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2016
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
0
Points
36
So I am having a bit of issues with the over saturation of GH4/Pix e5h combo and matching it to Red Log Film. Right now I am just lowering the contrast way down, but was wondering if anyone has a lut or anything they can recommend? Everything I find is for cinelike d 8 bit but nothing for 10 bit and they don't work well.

I know the obv. answer is to go vlog, just need to set it up on that camera.

steve
 
Last edited:
So I am having a bit of issues with the over saturation of GH4/Pix e5h combo and matching it to Red Log Film. Right now I am just lowering the contrast way down, but was wondering if anyone has a lut or anything they can recommend? Everything I find is for cinelike d 8 bit but nothing for 10 bit and they don't work well.

I know the obv. answer is to go vlog, just need to set it up on that camera.

steve

Are you going from VLogL or Cinelike? Cinelike is going to be much much harder to find than VLog.
 
cinelike right now, I am going to switch over to v log, I have 3 gh4 and only one has v log currently

steve
 
Going to subscribe to this post.

I havent upgraded to Vlog on my GH4.

Also havent mixed any projects with my Scarlet either.
 
VLog on the GH4 isn't the best. I've used GH4s on a number of projects alongside Dragon & MX, finished in Resolve. The Natural setting with contrast and sharpening dialed down slightly works best IMO. Less noise, decent color. I'd advise against using the cinelike settings if you're planning on post color. Too much baked in character.
 
VLog on the GH4 isn't the best. I've used GH4s on a number of projects alongside Dragon & MX, finished in Resolve. The Natural setting with contrast and sharpening dialed down slightly works best IMO. Less noise, decent color. I'd advise against using the cinelike settings if you're planning on post color. Too much baked in character.

hal can you send me your settings? I have been using gh4s for a year now but just started to use with a red

steve
 
Also keep note that Steve uses an external recorder. Vlog with the 8-bit internal can be a little messy but on the 10bit it's a totally different ball-game. Steve are you using an external recorder for everything?

I only mix E-W and GH4 for sit-down interview setups and I use FilmConvert to help me get them on the same level, plus I like a tweaked version of the Kodak Portra 400 for interview. Then I shoot everything else with the E-W and use LUTs and film emulation stocks however I want scene by scene. I know your work has a bit more mixing involved but if you got yourself a VLog -> Rec709 and used RLF->Rec709 you'd be really close. If I remember correctly the green channel is where most of your changes need to happen to match.
 
Also keep note that Steve uses an external recorder. Vlog with the 8-bit internal can be a little messy but on the 10bit it's a totally different ball-game.


Im using an Atomos Shogun I guess that inputs at 10bit correct?
 
Recording 10-bit to the shogun may indeed improve the VLog performance. I've done a few projects 10-bit to the Odyssey with the Natural setting and they worked fine in the grade.

My settings for those interested:

Natural
Contrast -1 to -2 (depending on range of light, daylight, etc.)
Sharpening -2
NR (I usually leave this at 0 and save NR for resolve)
SAT - 0
 
Whenever shooting with a different camera -- hell, whenever shooting with two cameras period -- I always advise DPs to shoot decent color charts whenever possible. The DSC OneShot is pretty good and affordable, and once you have that, matching two disparate cameras in terms of colorimetry is not that hard, assuming they're exposed in about the same way and have the same color temp settings. It does fall apart more quickly if one camera is 8-bit, which I see happen far too often (from people who should know better).

R-DSC-34986.1_zpsa5lfk7zi.jpg


I don't think you need a chart on every single setup, but I think it's good to have for every major lighting change, like perhaps 5-6 times a day.
 
Also keep note that Steve uses an external recorder. Vlog with the 8-bit internal can be a little messy but on the 10bit it's a totally different ball-game. Steve are you using an external recorder for everything?

I only mix E-W and GH4 for sit-down interview setups and I use FilmConvert to help me get them on the same level, plus I like a tweaked version of the Kodak Portra 400 for interview. Then I shoot everything else with the E-W and use LUTs and film emulation stocks however I want scene by scene. I know your work has a bit more mixing involved but if you got yourself a VLog -> Rec709 and used RLF->Rec709 you'd be really close. If I remember correctly the green channel is where most of your changes need to happen to match.
yes I only use the gh4 into the pix's as of now, I have 2 of them

Using film converter is a good idea, I never even thought to use that first as I almost always use that as a finishing tool

steve
 
Back
Top