Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Looking for LL Samples from a GEMINI

JamieW

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Points
8
Location
Maine, USA
Hey REDUsers,

My production company and I are working on a commercial and will be shooting in some extreme low light situations outdoors (Night, Moonlight, etc). Does anyone have any moonlight or extreme low light filming samples that they wouldn't mind sharing? ISO 3200-12,800 would be amazing. We're in between a GEMINI or sticking with an A7S II that we have access to. Thanks!

Jamie
 
I fucked the De-squeeze/Crop of the Color Corrected/Graded Resolve example below, but you get the idea

G002-C016-0308-H0-0000285copy.jpg


beach-gemini-1-1-1.jpg



Quick test Video



http://downloads.red.com.s3.amazonaws.com/sample-r3d-files/e5g-ll-48fps-5to1redcode.zip



GEMINI 5K S35
5K 1.7:1 (5120 x 3000)
47.95 fps
REDCODE 5:1
Low Light Mode
DSMC2 Standard OLPF
 
Last edited:
Hey all, checked out those clips already. Curious if anyone has samples at night or in very dark environments at 6400 or 12,800 ISO.
 
Here are some clips I just shot within a few minutes of each other, so the light should be pretty consistent between them. These are all 5K WS 3:1, using the standard OLPF. They're going to take a while to upload to Dropbox, so they might not be ready for a couple hours. You have some high-frequency detail, some light sources, and some smooth sky. Let me know if something else would be more helpful.

ISO 12800: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv4j20m7ahj5bkl/A054_C001_0701EB.RDC.zip?dl=0
ISO 12800: https://www.dropbox.com/s/akeepiscgk4yedh/A054_C002_0701LZ.RDC.zip?dl=0
ISO 6400: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o30zakroey8vgx2/A054_C003_0701V3.RDC.zip?dl=0
ISO 1600: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbha87tswyqyioa/A054_C004_0701FS.RDC.zip?dl=0 (with a bonus lightning flash)
 
Alan,


The others are still uploading. However, here is your Original 1600 ISO clip(Top), and a grade I made along with a little "Temporal" Noise Reduction(bottom)



A054-C004-0701-FS-0000000.jpg


alan-1-1-1-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Alan,


Here is one of the 12800 Iso images I brought down to 3200 Iso and again I used a little "Temporial" noise reduction, with a warm grade


A054-C002-0701-LZ-0000000.jpg



car-outside-warm-1-2-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
From 12800 to 2500 "Temporial" noise reduction



A054-C001-0701-EB-0000000.jpg


the-big-house-2-1-3-2.jpg
 
Here's a link to a 2048 x 864 2.37 file from wetransfer of the before and after for the two 12800 ISO clips and the one 6400 ISO clip all brought down to 3200 ISO with a very slight "Temporial" Noise Reduction with grades. I didn't want to post Alan's clips on YouTube as they are not mine so I thought this would be a better option.

362MB
https://we.tl/t-JoaDF6zh9Z


Here's a link to a 4096 x 1728 2.37 file


516MB
https://we.tl/t-yYfI7q1wY3
 
Last edited:
Here are some pretty extrem lowlight shots. Almost no light only real light source was the moon.

Hope the youtube compression don't make it too hard to judge. Everything shot at 10:1 and not sharpening or post stuff made (except some noise reduction like mentioned in the video).

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOAF23oQAFw&t=2s
 
Hey Rand,

The foliage is looking pretty smeary in these - are we just seeing the extremes here? Is there something else going on?

PS. Thanks for all the info you've been posting, it's been really great!

N

Alan,


The others are still uploading. However, here is your Original 1600 ISO clip(Top), and a grade I made along with a little "Temporal" Noise Reduction(bottom)



A054-C004-0701-FS-0000000.jpg


alan-1-1-1-2.jpg
 
Nathan,

Thanks, yeah, I used some noise reduction in Resolve to get rid of the heavy chroma noise that existed after raising the ISO in these images.The unfortunate side effect was some smearing in the foilage.
 
Back
Top