Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

gamma curve/color space

Mats Andersen

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I use RedCine to export dxp files that I am grading in Color.

In RedCine/format settings you can chose different gamma curve/color space -
I tried one render with Camera RGB/REC709 and one with Redspace/Redlog.

Visually I preferere to use Camera RGB/REC709 and then use Override Header Settings (video (64 Black - 940 White - Linear)) as a starting point in Color.

But to be honest I have no idea what I am doing here :unsure:
Can someone explain to me about gamma curve and color space ?

Regards
Mats Andersen
 
REC 709 is HD color space, and setting both the color space and gamma curve to this is a very good starting point for doing your 1-light transcoding before sending your footage to Color. REDspace is the native color space that the RED camera shoots in. The whole reason you need to use Redcine is because this color space has too much latitude and you need to convert it to something with in the SD or HD color space. REC 601 is the SD color space, with a gamma of 2.20, HD has a gamma of 2.22.

You are correct to first use Redcine before you use Color.
 
Ok I have a Q.

I am using Redalert/Rushes to process my 4k, 3K and 2K Red footage into 1080p ProRes Quicktimes for HD broadcast.

So should I set the camera up with REC709 and process in RedAlert/Rushes with REC709.

At the moment I'm doing everything in Redspace.

I'm shooting challenging outdoor footage with shadows and strong highlights - trying to maintain the greatest latitude I can - will grade the ProRes material in FCP in Colour later.

thx
 
Nice - thanks !

But does it matter what my final output is ? Do I have to consider if the project is going to television or cinema at this point ?

Does anybody know if there exist books or manuals on this subject ?
 
Nalu,
I'm not a post guy by any means, but it seems to me that Redspace has the least amount of lattitude or it applies the highest contrast out of all of the options. I usually grade in Redlog or Rec 709. The tones seem smoother and I feel like I can stretch every last bit out of Redlog as opposed to redspace. This is just my opinion. You might be able to get the same exact image from Redspace, rec 709, and all of the log formats.
 
Yes you can get same picture from REDLOG to REC709 .
I thing that better for you to youse RedLog. I post it once , and also just speak with CC , for them it is better when my footage is LOG , thay can do better CC . Also for TV SD final CC , you can youse REC709 , but you mast have HD monitor . And trust HD monitor . For Film , you must sned picture to HD , 2K projecting.
 
Back
Top