Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

First Underwater Experience with Epic-W

Rodrigo Violante

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 14, 2016
Messages
338
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Miami
Yesterday was my first diving with the Epic-W, I had some struggles at the beginning since It was my first experience with the housing, but the last dive was really nice, of course since we where around 80/100 ft below there was no light available, I shot at 48fps and if im correct at 360. and at f11 since I couldn't have controls for the fish eye I had.

I did some grading first on Red Cinema, Cut it in FCX and then did some final color grading in davinci (not sure if this is a good flow). Anyways I had to fight with lifting the red as much as I could (there are no reds underwater), I still fighting against using lights underwater, I like all natural lights. Any tips, recommendations or feedback is greatly appreciated! I will soon go again diving with sharks and hopefully the visibility conditions will be better.

Before DaVinci
https://www.facebook.com/RVMD12/pos...=notif&notif_t=like&notif_id=1482986438300423

After DaVinci
https://vimeo.com/197412368
 
Last edited:
Yesterday was my first diving with the Epic-W, I had some struggles at the beginning since It was my first experience with the housing, but the last dive was really nice, of course since we where around 80/100 ft below there was no light available, I shot at 48fps and if im correct at 360. and at f11 since I couldn't have controls for the fish eye I had.

I did some grading first on Red Cinema, Cut it in FCX and then did some final color grading in davinci (not sure if this is a good flow). Anyways I had to fight with lifting the red as much as I could (there are no reds underwater), I still fighting against using lights underwater, I like all natural lights. Any tips, recommendations or feedback is greatly appreciated! I will soon go again diving with sharks and hopefully the visibility conditions will be better.

Before DaVinci
https://www.facebook.com/RVMD12/pos...=notif&notif_t=like&notif_id=1482986438300423

After DaVinci
https://vimeo.com/197412368

Did you think about using underwater OLPf? Or maybe you used?
Can you tell us about the housing used?
 
I used a Nauticam Housing, and standard OLPF, maybe I will be using the Low Light one, but not so sure.

The recommended OLPF for underwater capture is the "DSMC2 H2O OLPF". (http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc2-h2o-olpf) Its a bit expensive to own at US$695.00 unless you do a lot of underwater image acquisitions. Also you need to swap it with whatever the OLPF that you generally use on land for surface image gathering.

I see the visibility might have been 20 ~ 30 ft on this dive huh?

Keep up the good work.
 
I just purchase it, Ill have to wait and see how it comes out, yes visibility was pretty nasty to be honest, I want to go again this weekend and see how it reacts with the low light OLPF meanwhile I wait for the other one. I need to fine tune all this before my trip to Socorro Islands.
 
I just purchase it, Ill have to wait and see how it comes out, yes visibility was pretty nasty to be honest, I want to go again this weekend and see how it reacts with the low light OLPF meanwhile I wait for the other one. I need to fine tune all this before my trip to Socorro Islands.

Please do post some material when you get back. I'm curious how the low light OLPF might look underwater.
 
Back
Top