Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

ART PHANTOM II Pro vs Rolls PB224?

David Peterson

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2014
Messages
1,109
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Location
Auckland, New Zealand
rolls stuff is heads and tails above art in general, however at this cost, you might be splitting hairs, I would go rolls though

steve
 
Yeah, their price is only $5 apart, so that doesn't matter!

Though I wish I could find something at a similar price point which used AA batteries instead of the 9V batteries they're using :-/ As that would be a pain to have to purchase and keep charged up, something different to my usual collection of batteries.
 
David, what are you trying to do with these? If trying to use it to power mics to run to a camera, I would consider getting a small mixer that has built in Phantom power and will provide proper preamps. But maybe you are using it for different purpose.
 
I agree with Steve Sherrick above. I also think these are just cheap and crappy $200 Chinese mic preamps that aren't very good. I think they're OK if you're a musician in a garage project studio trying to compose some tunes. They're not intended for film production.

I think a modest Sound Devices mixer would do fine, and that includes even a $500 Mix-Pre. If you're doing voiceovers or narration in a studio, then I would say a lot depends on the microphone. But for a camera? You need something better. The real problem is that dialogue on a set (particularly in a documentary) bounces all over the place, and you need a human being to listen to it and ride the level as it's being recorded.
 
Back
Top