Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

updated CS4 import?

Stepan Kment

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Prague, Czech Rep.
Website
pro.bistudio.com
Any update on new version of CS4 import plugin? There is a new FLUT, 4.5K mode - all this is not supported in current version.

We are really dependent on this, why to generate tons of data just to get red footage on a timeline when we'd load it directly...

Redcine-X may be great, but unless it works the way cineform does [that is instead of rendering the data, it'd just create a database of metadata holding color decisions and once the r3d is open in any app, it'd render frames for the host modified according to that metadata database], I don't find it that great solution. DPXes of a feature film are really a lot of disk space and it is not necessary to waste it (and backup them with project!! later) with r3d to dpx or whatever conversion.

Maybe I am missing something, though :bored:
 
No, Stepan, you're not missing anything. I'm with you 100%.

I already asked two times Deanan and Jannard a time estimate for the Adobe plugin. No answers.

I understand the difficulty of answering everything, and taking care of everyone. But, when you're color correcting a feature, and not playing with a few clips like most of the Reduser crowd, you're expecting that the post-production tools are released quickly.

I even asked who is in charge of the Adobe plugin, Red or Adobe, and no answers too.

The FLUT thing seems great, but again, not practical at all when you're dealing with several hours of footage on esata disks.

It would be great to have an official statement from Red, something else than the usual marketing stuff "FLUT. Use this"
 
Last edited:
Kinda figures... not too long ago it was "Wait 'til CS4 and your problems will be addressed." Now it's "wait for CS5." This will never end. I hope RED will create its own viable software solution equally as well as they have done for the hardware. They've got the thoroughbreds to do it.

And, it's in their best interest to offer a free software solution. The less money I have to spend on continually ugrading "behind the curve" software, the more I have to spend on their hardware.
 
Last edited:
My understanding is that there will be nothing more for CS4.

You will need to wait for CS5.
I sincerely hope you are wrong about this. Have you got anything to back up that assertion? I ask because I'm beta testing CS5 and have already raised the issue with them internally about prompt support for SDK updates.

Now the FLUT/RedColor/RedGamma SDK isn't public yet so I don't expect them to have that portion done, but I too am rather frustrated at the lack of at least build 20 support (and 4.5K). Which is kind of weird because as near as I can tell the beta of CS5 seems to have it incorporated natively (the build 20 thing, not the 4.5K). No way I can be 100% sure about this though.

CS5 has a long way to go though so I can't imagine them dropping support for CS4 any time soon!

Cheers,

Paul
 
I sincerely hope you are wrong about this. Have you got anything to back up that assertion? I ask because I'm beta testing CS5 and have already raised the issue with them internally about prompt support for SDK updates.

Yes, I have an email (which says I am not allowed to show it to anyone, or words to that effect) which makes it 90% certain.

Also, I saw a post from someone at Adobe on one of the forums here saying the same thing.
 
I've got the same info. And within it, there was some mention of a possibility for an updated CS4 plugin in the interim, however that seemed highly unlikley. And with the new color science and updated SDK due this coming week, I doubt we see anyhting new before CS5, which is still at least 4 to 6 months away.

All I know is CS4 is a huge steaming pile of crap. Adobe knows this too and I think that's why they're walking away from it and moving right to CS5. Which really sucks for all of us who bought it hoping it would be great and not a bug-ridden P.O.S. that would be dropped from support, even from expected bug fixes, less than a year later.

The upcoming Mercury engine and other features of CS5 look to be great. I'll be upgrading and I own a couple seats of Master Collection (2 Mac, 1 Windows). Adobe makes great software, I'm just not happy over the whole CS4 situation, RED plugin or not. I know I'm not the only one.
 
So would it be safe to say that if there were any announcements at NAB this year, it would be about an unready software upgrade that we are not going to have for another 3 months. I'm only using CS3 and I don't own a R1, but have plans to buy a R1 and CS5 when it comes out. I'm guessing I should wait another six months.
 
Back
Top