Marc A Hutchins
Member
- Joined
- Mar 17, 2009
- Messages
- 17
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
We have put together a RED package to include everything we need from RED (prime set, EVF, monitor, handles, media, etc) and everything else from a supplier (sticks, matte box, filters, ff, ext. monitor, and a bunch of ET accessories).
We tried to move on the purchase back in March, but with the constant shifting of the economy, the lenders were changing lending rules faster than we could meet their new demands. Through it all, it looks like we might be able to move forward with the purchase (within the next 4 weeks).
However...I have been a blog-reading fool for months now, and between hearing the challenges of other RED owner/operators and the upcoming opportunities through Scarlet, I now have cold feet. What to do?
We want to finish a feature started with the RED, provide the RED with an operator for others to fulfill their dreams, up our commercial game, and shoot our own films. The RED Package seemed like the logical decision back in February when we began to build the package.
So my questions:
1 - If we sink the dough into our RED package, will we be using all the same equipment if/when we roll over to the Epic? See the potential list at http://www.alexanderfilms.com/2009/04/red/
One fine gentlemen suggested moving forward with the purchase if we did indeed plan to go Epic down the road, stating that we would lose nothing in the transition.
2 - Starting out (being a non-RED owner with limited experience on the RED), would it be better to wait on the Scarlet, postponing our endeavors, and perhaps trimming the package budget?
Yet, we have no idea about the opportunities available through the Scarlet, and whether we'll save anything other than the cost of the camera itself - meaning, will we be using all the same "extras" for production (lens, sticks, matte box, etc).
3 - Will the RED quickly become obsolete?
4 - Having already signed up for the REDucation (TECH and POST), and purchased plane ticket, should I say "what the hell" and stick with the original plan?
I do have family in LA, and would only lose about $600 if I canceled the class, so it wouldn't be a complete wash.
Basically, we are serious about making things happen and we aren't afraid to take chances - we just want to make wise investments.
Thoughts?
We tried to move on the purchase back in March, but with the constant shifting of the economy, the lenders were changing lending rules faster than we could meet their new demands. Through it all, it looks like we might be able to move forward with the purchase (within the next 4 weeks).
However...I have been a blog-reading fool for months now, and between hearing the challenges of other RED owner/operators and the upcoming opportunities through Scarlet, I now have cold feet. What to do?
We want to finish a feature started with the RED, provide the RED with an operator for others to fulfill their dreams, up our commercial game, and shoot our own films. The RED Package seemed like the logical decision back in February when we began to build the package.
So my questions:
1 - If we sink the dough into our RED package, will we be using all the same equipment if/when we roll over to the Epic? See the potential list at http://www.alexanderfilms.com/2009/04/red/
One fine gentlemen suggested moving forward with the purchase if we did indeed plan to go Epic down the road, stating that we would lose nothing in the transition.
2 - Starting out (being a non-RED owner with limited experience on the RED), would it be better to wait on the Scarlet, postponing our endeavors, and perhaps trimming the package budget?
Yet, we have no idea about the opportunities available through the Scarlet, and whether we'll save anything other than the cost of the camera itself - meaning, will we be using all the same "extras" for production (lens, sticks, matte box, etc).
3 - Will the RED quickly become obsolete?
4 - Having already signed up for the REDucation (TECH and POST), and purchased plane ticket, should I say "what the hell" and stick with the original plan?
I do have family in LA, and would only lose about $600 if I canceled the class, so it wouldn't be a complete wash.
Basically, we are serious about making things happen and we aren't afraid to take chances - we just want to make wise investments.
Thoughts?