Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Buy Now or Wait for Dragon?

McKay Olson

Active member
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Should I just wait to buy a Scarlet since next year it will come with the Dragon sensor built in, so I won't have to worry about upgrading it? Good idea, bad idea? Thanks!
 
Should I just wait to buy a Scarlet since next year it will come with the Dragon sensor built in, so I won't have to worry about upgrading it? Good idea, bad idea? Thanks!

Do you plan to shoot anything within the next year and a half? If so, waiting would seem to be pretty counterproductive. And if you really think a Dragon sensor camera will be available "next year," it's likely that you are either dreaming or haven't been following Red for very long.
 
Should I just wait to buy a Scarlet since next year it will come with the Dragon sensor built in, so I won't have to worry about upgrading it? Good idea, bad idea? Thanks!

Buy now, wait for dragon - only thing that makes sense really, it's an upgrade; not a whole new camera system ;-)
 
Oh, you have to upgrade it either way? Like the sensor won't be built-in next year?
 
Oh, you have to upgrade it either way? Like the sensor won't be built-in next year?
It probably will (not that we've been given an affirmative on that yet) but what does it matter? You still have a years wait - I don't know about you but I'd rather be stocked on accessories and have a camera in hand rather than wait for a forthcoming update that I know nothing about!
 
The upgrade isn't THAT difficult, you send it in, they evaluate, you pay up, they upgrade, send it back...well thats sort of how it goes, I never MX'd my R1 but thats what my understanding is, its not a long complicated process, just a wait...considering the number of people that will do the upgrade...

I doubt they'll be shipping the chip out and upgrading though at the same time since it is going to be a horde of cameras if that is the first FF35 and the price is right (usual/always is)

Buy it now, use it, make money or art from it...see if you like or don't like what dragon has to offer for the price and in the end you can always upgrade...the price of the Scarlet goes up in 2012 so if you put your order in now it will be slightly cheaper then buying Scarlet + Dragon next year...perhaps more than slightly as Gavin points out..the R1 MX is more than R1 + MX

naturally though, choice is yours but if you have the money and can do the purchase now, definitely worth it...at least IMO
 
This question needs to stop being asked. Apply the same logic you will have to apply everytime you buy a computer or perhaps a new car. There will be always be something better around the corner no matter what you buy and when you buy it. Undoubtedly it will be cheaper to upgrade to Dragon (this is an assumption given the previous tendencies of Red) and buy the Scarlet now than down the track purchasing the already upgraded unit. Furthermore, there needs to be no other re-statement of this question, if you have a job, or any camera coming up in that time where ownership of Scarlet will help you, get one now - you will be looked after. Otherwise (not trying to offend) but purchasing indecision is best kept to yourself - the easily-accessed current specs and price (specs won't change for a while, price will) of the camera should be enough to help you make a decision either way. This seriously feels like the fiftieth time I've encountered this question here.... sheesh.
 
Remember that dragon being released "next year" can easily turn into 3 years from now..... so if I were you I would buy Scarlet now....
 
Having followed this Red forum since inception - the process has usually gone existing owners will get the upgrade option before the camera can be bought with an upgrade, so factor that timeline in as well.

Do you make money from shooting? Will adding the scarlet add any benefit to that - FOR YOU? Is it a sound decision to spend that money NOW - FOR YOU? Is the scarlet the best option for the style of shooting you do?

If you answer, YES YES YES YES - then what are you waiting for?
 
Should I just wait to buy a Scarlet since next year it will come with the Dragon sensor built in, so I won't have to worry about upgrading it? Good idea, bad idea? Thanks!

Going to original question, I ask

1. what is primary use of the camera today- for you and you clientel, and what is MOST important to your cinematography TODAY?
RAW, resolution, 3D, framerates...

2. What equipment do you already have that will work with it?

Make a quick list for us, and we could maybe craft a better answer for you.

It is an investment with potential quick or long-term return on investment depending on how you plan to use it,
so if your projects justify it, dive in- don't wait.

However, it is priced in a manner that you can typically get
10 days rental of Epic and perhaps do more to satisfy your clients with that...

Depends on your response...
 
Thanks everyone for your input. To answer John's question, I'm a sixteen-year old aspiring filmmaker who got lucky and won a video contest for a lot of money. I'm not professional, but I'm trying to be, and the RED scarlet, I think, can help me with that. I own a Canon 5D Mark II, and not much gear. Thanks again everyone for all of your support, answering all of my questions. You've really helped! :)
 
Wait for the holodeck—it's going to be amazing.
 
Thanks everyone for your input. To answer John's question, I'm a sixteen-year old aspiring filmmaker who got lucky and won a video contest for a lot of money. I'm not professional, but I'm trying to be, and the RED scarlet, I think, can help me with that. I own a Canon 5D Mark II, and not much gear. Thanks again everyone for all of your support, answering all of my questions. You've really helped! :)

Congratulations on winning the video contest!

If I could go back to 16 and have all the tools available today,
amazing to think about...

A lot of money to a 16 yr old might be $20,000, but to a business might be a $200,000 loan

My first response is for you to keep as much money as possible, work on script for your next project and find fellow filmmakers with the gear
to collaborate with, rent, or try to intern with a production company in your area to further gain experience and see if you can work
in exchange for use of a camera package

Next, I'd rent a Scarlet package for a weekend shoot, see what you like about the entire process and package,
and then you'll have further clarity to what exactly you need for your style of shooting.

To answer your first question, in your scenario, waiting for Dragon will not make your movies better
in the next year, unless you need high iso or tons of slow-motion...

You already have talent to win a contest, so keep filming no matter with what you have now, no matter what...
 
Back
Top