Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scarlet: With upcoming work, is it worth waiting or should we use something else?

Wayne Morellini

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
6,157
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I know there is an indefinite embargo on speaking about products before release. But as the scarlet has been long delayed, and was due around now, maybe Red could advise all the long waiting fans about this question in the title, so they can make production decisions. I see people asking the question, and even I have to decide what to buy next this year.

Thanks

Wayne
 
Wayne, what kind of projects are you shooting? Putting aside RED delivery dates for a moment, I would ask the following questions:

1. Is owning a camera necessary for the projects you are doing right now? Owning a camera is great, but while waiting for Scarlet, perhaps renting cameras makes the most business sense.

2. Is a Scarlet the only way to achieve the look you are going after for these projects? We all expect Scarlet to shoot great images but if another camera can provide images that are good enough to get you paid NOW, maybe it makes sense to use another camera until Scarlet arrives.

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of "Can't get a job done until XYZ camera arrives". If the work you are referring to is personal projects that you want a particular look that only the RED cameras will give you, then by all means, might be worth waiting it out. But if it's paid client work, why wait? What happens if there is a delay out of RED's control? I'd personally rather shoot on a GH2 with all of its limitations and get paid right now then wait on a camera delivery.

Now, I'm of course making some assumptions there. You may have valid reasons for waiting it out which I respect. And perhaps you don't have access to rental houses nearby. I'm mainly speaking of situations where say you have a job where client wants to shoot in January 2012 and you're trying to decide whether you should plan or budget for a Scarlet to do the job. In my opinion, I would suggest not doing that but rather budget/plan based on an available camera technology such as Red One, F3, 5D, AF100, whatever. Then if it turns out Scarlet will be available, you can then approach the client and offer the opportunity to use that camera system instead of the one originally planned for.

Anyway, not sure that I'm actually being very helpful here, as I don't know enough about your situation but I do see this type of thing pop up from time to time and I always hope that people will choose to shoot with whatever they have access to over waiting around for cameras to be available.
 
Paid work, obviously not... rent or buy the camera that ticks as many boxes as possible, for the money you have.

Your own projects... well, that is your choice... If all your cash is tied up in a "Scarlet fund"... grab any of the great value cameras out there and keep bettering your craft, then sell up when Scarlet ships.... what will you lose selling on a GH2? $300? Must be worth it?
 
Don't plan on seeing Scarlet anytime soon. Plan your production needs using cameras that are currently available.

My own guess is that Scarlet could show up in November or December in limited quantities ( Pure Speculation on my Part ). I hope I am proven wrong...

Who knows, there could be a "change" in the line up...
 
There will always be a better camera just around the corner. For 99% of projects, there are tons of options to get the job done:

RED M-X
RED M
Sony F3
Panasonic AF100
Canon 5D
Canon 7D
Panasonic GH2
Sony EX3
Sony F900
Panasonic Varicam
Panasonic HVX200
 
Yeah I'm a big fan of the best camera is the one you have in your hands. Don't wait for a specific camera to shoot something that needs to be shot. There will *always* be something better.

-Noah
 
God grief guys, this is a community question for Red. I am actually saying what you are saying, and more specifically in the thread that promoted thus thread, because other people are waiting and asking. So, put it this way if you have work in 2-3 months and can have a scarlet 1-2 months better to wait to upgrade your camera. If the camera is comming in 6 months, upgrade now. If you have work soon get something.

So, basically, two answers if the camera is 1-3 months you would recommend to hold off on an update. If the camera was available very soon you might say hold off buying aswell, or if more than 6 months just buy something. But then again, with these possible answers you can guess when they estimate it will come :(

Leave the nice camera lists (adding Panasonic GH3, 900, Sony VG-20 and Nex 5n) and consider deleting some extras guys. Thanks.

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top