Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED - A Look Back

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lumiere View Post
    Alright, here's one... the first time the price of the RED ONE was announced to the world at NAB. There is an interesting story behind the hesitation there... Anyone remember what happened?

Shot by Mike Curtis if I recall...
    Cool blast from the past...
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

2. #92 A musical metaphor perhaps from one of our AU country and western icons. 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jannard
    "The 1st RED "Spec Day" was Dec. 13th, 2005. We had no sensor design and no industrial design. We got a small group together to talk about what exactly this camera should be. The "GO" decision was made within a few days of this meeting. So RED officially committed to building a camera in December of 2005."
    This thread happened to get bumped today and it occurs to me, going by Jim's post above, that this is almost exactly the 7 year anniversary of the birth of RED.

Congratulations, Jim and Team RED! Can't wait for what's in store...

(REDUser Community: I'd love to see more photos and hear more stories from the early days!)
    RedCamCentral
    KOMODO 6K, EPIC-DRAGON 6K, EPIC-MX 5K Rentals
    IMDb.me/CaseyGreen
    Director / Producer / Technician - IATSE Local 695

Follow us on: Instagram / FaceBook / Vimeo

4. #94 More than 15 years ago... 
    I was cleaning my hard drive and I found this photo.

I also found the very first business plan presentation I gave to Jim more than 15 years ago. I called it the O-cam :)

Amazing how time flies...
    Attached Images
    Frederic Lumiere
    Twitter: Fredlumiere

Great memories.

Cheers - #19

... ;)

I remember when RED was announced in 2005. I had just turned 15 and was using a Panasonic DVX100A. I followed the company like a hawk since.. in 2007 when they showed a working RED ONE for the first time, I was in love! Fast forward to 2015 when I got my first Red, the ONE MX. I opened the box and for the first time in my life a camera reduced me to tears. I felt like after all the years of working on cameras like the DVX, HVX, Canon XL2 and so on, getting something like the ONE MX was such a huge technical leap forward. While I enjoyed the image from the camera, man did I hate the rest of that camera. The boot times were slow, I had the CF Card module on mine and you could barely get any decent record times, and my computer at the time just could not handle the red files so my post workflow slowed way the hell down. I had the ONE MX for around 6 months or so and ended up selling it. I vowed I would never own RED again after the awful experience I had. Well.. after diving into cameras like the Tape varicam, Sony F900, F23, and Panavision Genesis from late 2015 - late 2020.. I decided to give RED another chance. I purchased an open box Scarlet MX that was never used (95hrs on the body if you can believe that) and man, have I fallen in love all over again with RED. I have zero and I mean ZERO complaints with the Scarlet and I cant even imagine how i'd respond to the current cameras like the Monstro or Komodo.. RED won my heart and I'm beyond happy with my decision and hope to get a lot of life out of that scarlet over the next couple years. :)
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0

Digital T Productions 2021

Quote Originally Posted by lumiere View Post
    I was cleaning my hard drive and I found this photo.

I also found the very first business plan presentation I gave to Jim more than 15 years ago. I called it the O-cam :)

Amazing how time flies...
    Thanks for posting that photo Frederic! It made me nostalgic because I could see my old friend Brad Hagen who we lost to cancer in 2014.
    He reserved cameras 15 & 16 at the show. Brad was a great friend.
    Attached Images

Looking back, I still marvel at all the amazing artists I met through the RED Rebellion. Brad Hagen is a good example - smart, funny and a great human being.

Perhaps that desire for something more that drove Jim, also drew a particular type of person to the RED community. Even all these years later, some of those intrepid souls are still part of my life. Big thanks to you all (I'd do a shout out, but I'd inevitably miss someone).

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Cool blast from the past...
    Thanks I'm crying at work.