Thread: Control Scarlet via WiFi without REDLINK module?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Control Scarlet via WiFi without REDLINK module? 
    Is their an app/way (besides redmote) to control the camera via an iPhone or iPad or Mac without getting the redlink module? Anyway I can use what the REDMOTE uses to connect it to another device?
    Sony PMW-F5 Digital Cinema Camera / Sigma 18-35 ART F1.8 EF
    Two Panasonic AG-DVX100s

Digital T Productions 2021

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hello Mike

You can use GIGABIT router, like this small one from GL.Inet : GL-AR750S-Ext
    Any small USB powered router will work as long as it supports GIG-E speed which used to be very difficult to find, but this one and probably others do exit now.
    You will also need a RED lemo to GIG-E cable and your camera will then be available wirelessly

If you run foolcontrol or any DSMC compatible app you will be able to control all the camera settings (but there is no video feed like on Komodo)
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Hello Mike

You can use GIGABIT router, like this small one from GL.Inet : GL-AR750S-Ext
    Any small USB powered router will work as long as it supports GIG-E speed which used to be very difficult to find, but this one and probably others do exit now.
    You will also need a RED lemo to GIG-E cable and your camera will then be available wirelessly

If you run foolcontrol or any DSMC compatible app you will be able to control all the camera settings (but there is no video feed like on Komodo)
    So i'd have to have the scarlet tethered to a router in order for control via my iPhone.. sounds like a studio only type environment, not very portable friendly but thanks for the info :)
    Two Panasonic AG-DVX100s

It woulda been great if RED put a redlink into the Module Adapter or +1 module (instead of forcing it as the "end" module... I think Bjorn got his up and running and it still allowed power pass-through, connectivity, and everything...

I was thinking about doing it to a module adapter, but didn't want to hose my redlink (even though I never use it).

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    So i'd have to have the scarlet tethered to a router in order for control via my iPhone.. sounds like a studio only type environment, not very portable friendly but thanks for the info :)
    Was the case before as there was no portable GIG E router…
    But this one from GL-iNet can be powered via a USB powerbank…
    Also a TERADEK COLR can act as an ethernet - wifi bridge for foolcontrol or you could also use a Latitude MDR from RTMOTION that gets you a wifi access point for the CTRL port…
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Mike, the simplest solution for me would be to get an OFFHOLLYWOOD HOTLINK (bought this unit a half year ago from ebay for about 40eur), and connect to the foolcontrol app :) Quick and very easy setup. If you will need more help, let me know ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    Mike, the simplest solution for me would be to get an OFFHOLLYWOOD HOTLINK (bought this unit a half year ago from ebay for about 40eur), and connect to the foolcontrol app :) Quick and very easy setup. If you will need more help, let me know ;)
    Seems like these are hard to come by now :/. Just searched ebay and nothing turned up.
    Two Panasonic AG-DVX100s

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    Seems like these are hard to come by now :/. Just searched ebay and nothing turned up.

try to use reduser.net marketplace ;) You might get one for sale ;) Hope this helps