Thread: color grade from raw to rerender?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 color grade from raw to rerender? 
    I was having a decision with a film friend and it was about giving footage to be color graded to a colorist. We have a short 3 minute film that is going to get color graded. I said that it needs to be given to the color graded person as the original files that comes from the camera for each shot. For example if there are 10 flies that makes up this short 3 minute film then that is 10 files that needs to be color graded

My friend said that I can just render the 3 minute film that is on the timeline and give it as a one render file and it would work out fine.

But wouldn't that make it a bit harder to control the footage if it has already been re rendered? Wouldn't you lose the 6k footage?

Any feedback would help - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Potts View Post
    I was having a decision with a film friend and it was about giving footage to be color graded to a colorist. We have a short 3 minute film that is going to get color graded. I said that it needs to be given to the color graded person as the original files that comes from the camera for each shot. For example if there are 10 flies that makes up this short 3 minute film then that is 10 files that needs to be color graded

My friend said that I can just render the 3 minute film that is on the timeline and give it as a one render file and it would work out fine.

But wouldn't that make it a bit harder to control the footage if it has already been re rendered? Wouldn't you lose the 6k footage?

Any feedback would help - Thanks
    Both answers are correct in their own way.

1) The proper way to do the grade is the first way you mentioned. The mechanics of this generally works like this: you export an EDL and/or AAF of your short film sequence (video only, all shots on one layer, no sound), and send this and all the corresponding camera originals to the colorist. To save hard drive space, and if you know what you're doing, you can alternatively also use a program like Resolve to make "trims" of the original camera footage, so you're only sending the colorist exactly what they need (but definitely include handles here).

Very important, incase something goes wrong with the relink to the footage - also send the colorist a reference QT that has burned in this info: your source clip names and source clip timecode.

2) A work around if you are crunched for time is to export a Prores 444 quicktime of your short-film and give this to your colorist (4K or 1080). Obviously not as good as giving the colorist camera originals, but this is often good enough, and saves a lot of time on conform. If all the footage is well shot and doesn't need too much fixing, this can be OK. If the footage is stressed in any way (under expossed, over exposed, dramatically wrong color temp) this may not be advisable.

Good luck.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    color graded person
    A growing medical condition that the industry needs to be wary of.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

when a colorist does the correction on the footage, what is the best way for the colorist to return the footage back to me so I can hand it off to the Visual Effects guy to add in his effects? I was given some different ideas to look at; export the individual clips in DNxHD for best quality(Loss less), or create individual custom luts that are easily apply them and add VFX

Chris = dålig pojke. I think that's what my grandfather called me.

when a colorist does the correction on the footage, what is the best way for the colorist to return the footage back to me so I can hand it off to the Visual Effects guy to add in his effects? I was given some different ideas to look at; export the individual clips in DNxHD for best quality(Loss less), or create individual custom luts that are easily apply them and add VFX
    You should really discuss these questions at some more specialized forums dedicated to color grading and VFX. I would recommend posting these questions on lifgammagain forum to get more of a a colorist perspective or something like Logic user group for a VFX professional perspective.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    You should really discuss these questions at some more specialized forums dedicated to color grading and VFX. I would recommend posting these questions on lifgammagain forum to get more of a a colorist perspective or something like Logic user group for a VFX professional perspective.
    Thanks I will check in those areas