Thread: Scarlet-X as a stills camera goes alright.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1 Scarlet-X as a stills camera goes alright. 
    Senior Member PatrickWebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Norway.
    Posts
    212
    Hi all,
    This is kind of an offshoot from the "is the scarlet worth it in 2021?" thread. However, this is more of a focus on still images, not just moving ones. My personal opinion here is that the scarlet is a fine stills camera which I find myself working with regularly. I use my scarlet as my main workhorse camera, when I don't need high frame rates, etc. I like to save the power of my Epic to the bigger jobs. For the little jobs, the scarlet still serves well.

    I've have had a few interesting projects from client to my own. I am sharing a few grabs here to show how wonderful the camera can capture still images @ 5K.

    - this one is actually a 4K widescreen grab. (Lens: Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm)

    - (5K) No.1 still for a cultural documentary that I am currently working on here in Midt-Telemark. (Lens: Carl Zeiss 15mm ZE 2.8)

    - (5K) No.2 still for a cultural documentary that I am currently working on here in Midt-Telemark. (Lens: Carl Zeiss 15mm ZE 2.8)

    (5K) photo for a lighting education workshop (later this year) for locals in my area to learn. (Lens: Carl Zeiss 21mm ZE 2.8)

    I really like the versatility of this camera, being able to pump out decent quality images. Of course, you need all of the other bits and pieces to make the image, but you get what I mean.

    Cheers, guys!

    - Patrick
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    2,118
    There's certainly nothing wrong with the camera per se as far as taking photos is concerned. However, consider this: enough time has passed so that you have cameras like the Olympus E-M1 II, which is now superseded, that can shoot 60fps RAW bursts and has pretty darned good AF. Not Sony level, but very good. It's not just cheaper than a Scarlet, it's smaller and lighter.

    When the Scarlet MX was new, there were no cameras that could match it in frame rate - not in 4K, anyway. The Epic still beats a lot of high end pro cameras. But today, it's a different story. As a cinema camera though, yeah, the Olympus could not compete with it.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Member Arvydas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    41
    Still love mine and recent project shot with it.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Dominik Muench's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Posts
    2,284
    using my RED is still my favorite way to shoot people stills. so much fun.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Mike Krumlauf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    Hi all,
    This is kind of an offshoot from the "is the scarlet worth it in 2021?" thread. However, this is more of a focus on still images, not just moving ones. My personal opinion here is that the scarlet is a fine stills camera which I find myself working with regularly. I use my scarlet as my main workhorse camera, when I don't need high frame rates, etc. I like to save the power of my Epic to the bigger jobs. For the little jobs, the scarlet still serves well.

    I've have had a few interesting projects from client to my own. I am sharing a few grabs here to show how wonderful the camera can capture still images @ 5K.

    - this one is actually a 4K widescreen grab. (Lens: Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm)

    - (5K) No.1 still for a cultural documentary that I am currently working on here in Midt-Telemark. (Lens: Carl Zeiss 15mm ZE 2.8)

    - (5K) No.2 still for a cultural documentary that I am currently working on here in Midt-Telemark. (Lens: Carl Zeiss 15mm ZE 2.8)

    (5K) photo for a lighting education workshop (later this year) for locals in my area to learn. (Lens: Carl Zeiss 21mm ZE 2.8)

    I really like the versatility of this camera, being able to pump out decent quality images. Of course, you need all of the other bits and pieces to make the image, but you get what I mean.

    Cheers, guys!

    - Patrick
    Would love to know your exposure to grading process for these. The dynamic range is insane!
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0


    Digital T Productions 2021
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member PatrickWebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Norway.
    Posts
    212
    Hi Mike,
    I set the camera, for the beer can shot, to 1250 ISO with an ND filter to knock down the exposure so I could keep a lot of the highlight information together. Nothing super special in terms of tricks.

    As for the inside the house and Glasshouse garden I just cranked up the shutter speed, as the Zeiss 15mm has a massive front, so no filtration. The camera was also set to 1250 ISO. But the grading was a little bit of S-Curve with IPP2 processing and high contrast and very soft roll offs selected. Not much more to it.

    Then for the last shot in studio, that was all controlled lighting, so it is pretty easy to adjust the exposure on the lights to get the right touch. I think the ISO was around 500 for that one.

    That's it, I think.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member PatrickWebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Norway.
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    Still love mine and recent project shot with it.

    Colours look gooooood there! Nice one!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member PatrickWebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Norway.
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Muench View Post
    using my RED is still my favorite way to shoot people stills. so much fun.
    I agree totally! I think it provides another way of interaction with your subject... you can let the camera roll and then work with your subject more, thus giving more flexibility to pull a great shot. Some might argue the photography skills here, but it is better than missing the shot or getting "half-closed-eyes" all the time. haha
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    I love the Scarlet still so much. I get great my favorite stills from it.





    *First post on this website :) *
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member PatrickWebb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Norway.
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lamarra View Post
    I love the Scarlet still so much. I get great my favorite stills from it.





    *First post on this website :) *
    Welcome and nice one, Michael!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts