Thread: Leica - R rehousings

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Leica - R rehousings 
    Hi everyone,

Im looking to Rehouse a set of Leica Rs, but wanted to ask the community on their experiences using/ owning sets, and who did the rehousing.

I currently don't own a stills set, but am prepared to source them if necessary. Im looking to have the set (19,28,35,50,80,100/135) cover the Alexa LF, so any issues with Vignetting would heavily weigh into my decision. They would also need to be easily serviceable as I hope to own them as a long term investment.

Currently I'm looking at 3 options GL OPTICS, ZERO OPTIK, CINESCOPE TLS

GL OPTICS says they can source the lenses for me, I wanted to know if anyone has opted for this, and if they gave you a colour matched set with a consistent look and feel (as the coatings changed over the decades)

ZERO OPTIK Has the longest wait time and I would have to supply my own lenses. I like their build quality, but i haven't seen many sets for rental, or anyone talking about their Leica Rs rehoused by them, so any info would be great.

CINESCOPE TLS Im often in the UK so potentially owning this set would be easier for servicing, they look like they have a good build quality, but are also the most expensive rehousers. For any owners, is this set well matched?

They all seem like high quality durable options, but checking here seemed like the obvious thing to do before purchasing a set.

Many thanks,

T

I'd take a close look at all of their rehousing efforts. TLS has been rehousing for a very long time. GL Optics has improved greatly over the years. Zero Optik is the newest company, but in many ways most capable.

I'd dare say if you aren't supplying your own optics, you will have a mixed bag of glass at the end of the day.

There are look variations between say early 80s and late 90s Leica-R primes as well as copy variation. Well worth putting the effort into making a matched or as close to matched set.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I am very happy with my Mk 4 Gl Optics Leica's. I have a 6 lens set and they match very well.
    KENNY MOSHER
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    https://www.kmodop.com
    @kmoshowdown

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Mosher View Post
    I am very happy with my Mk 4 Gl Optics Leica's. I have a 6 lens set and they match very well.

Hi Kenny, Id be interested to know whether you supplied the glass or if you get them to source it. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'd take a close look at all of their rehousing efforts. TLS has been rehousing for a very long time. GL Optics has improved greatly over the years. Zero Optik is the newest company, but in many ways most capable.

I'd dare say if you aren't supplying your own optics, you will have a mixed bag of glass at the end of the day.

There are look variations between say early 80s and late 90s Leica-R primes as well as copy variation. Well worth putting the effort into making a matched or as close to matched set.
    Hi Phil,

I wish I could check out some physical sets of these but unfortunately there are none here. Im heading over to the UK next month but will be in quarantine for most of the visit, it might be possible to check out a set then. I thought about putting together a set, just want some first hand feedback on externally sourced sets before diving into eBay for the next year. If that ends up being the best option him happy to go down that route, I was ideally thinking late 70/early 80s glass. My grandfather had a set of these back in the day and sadly sold it all for digital Nikon glass.

Thanks for the advice.

T

I had GL Optics rehouse my Leica R lenses: 19, 35, 50, 90. They are solid and I use them all the time. I am tempted to have them rehouse my 135 with their newer housings. That lens matches the rest of my set, just couldn't get to it since I just bought a house and a million other things...
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

Im in similar situation as the OP but already own a set of Leica R that im looking to rehouse.

TLS and Zero Optik are out of my price range, so was looking at GL Optics and PS Technik as realistic options

The MK4 version of the GL Optics look like a real step up in quality, am considering going down that route as have heard good things about their current rehousing.
    Would be interested to hear anyone else experience with GL and time scale they experienced getting a set rehoused and general build quality.

Would love to see a set in person but cant see any in UK at moment.

Thanks a lot

I have (2) sets of re-housed TLS lenses, the Leica R's and Panchro's. The TLS work is very solid. I cant yet speak to the quality of the GL mk4, but I hear its greatly improved over previous GL versions which I have owned and are not great. Ive used the ZERO's and delt with the folks there on a project coming up and they are quite competent... and a big plus for ZERO is being in this country in terms of shipping forth and back.

Its also not an easy task to try and source old lenses to try and create a "matching set".... this process can be very painful, time consuming and more expensive then you think. If you could walk into one place with a boat-load of lenses, test and choose what you liked that would be awesome.... but its not usually that way.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Scarlet, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, Mini LF, Amira and Classic, Sony Venice, Varicam LT
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's, Super Speeds
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa Evolution, Atlas Orion A + B sets
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Like our Facebook and follow Instagram pages for updates

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Edmonds View Post
    Im in similar situation as the OP but already own a set of Leica R that im looking to rehouse.

TLS and Zero Optik are out of my price range, so was looking at GL Optics and PS Technik as realistic options

The MK4 version of the GL Optics look like a real step up in quality, am considering going down that route as have heard good things about their current rehousing.

Would be interested to hear anyone else experience with GL and time scale they experienced getting a set rehoused and general build quality.

Would love to see a set in person but cant see any in UK at moment.

Thanks a lot
    Hey there, I have a set of R’s from GL. Had them a couple of years. Never rent but use weekly and I am very happy with them. I’m based near Oxford in the UK. I got my 6 set from a red user who colour matched them and gave me choices on the condition at every length as well as keeping them all close in serial number. My only issue is I now don’t shoot anything else which isn’t a bad place to be

Let me know if you want to see them

All the best

Giles
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!