Thread: DSMC1 end of Repair

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's a pretty weak comparison, considering you can run out and buy a brand new 6L6 vacuum tube at a reasonable price. It's a lot easier to buy a vacuum tube released in 1936 than it is to repair a DSMC1...maybe choose your analogies more carefully.

https://www.thetubestore.com/power-t...881-tube-types

I disagree that a perfectly relevant camera deliver in 2017 should wind up in a landfill in 2021 because basic maintenance and simple repairs are unavailable. My EPIC M is up and running again thanks to my friend, and I could not be happier, but I'm kind of stunned that RED is ready to punt all of these cameras to the landfill. What a waste.

Meryem's right. It's just a shame that these still wonderful cameras aren't serviced anymore. They're still delivering beautiful pictures. Do you remember Red's Obsolescence Obsolet, folks ?

By the way, we have a smashed 4,7" Red LCD with a broken glass, is there a place where this could be fixed for less than the cost of a new one ? Several people on this forum seem to be in the same case and didn't find anything except Red.

Literally, EOL of DSMC1 with a response of "we don't have parts", while there's a trade-in upgrade program still going and there's lots of camera brains are being bought-out by Red themself is silly.

Also, after the experience with a drowned Epic-M repair at local shop, I kinda have to tell you - every single chip on most of the boards inside DSMC1 can be easily found online, except for the genuine boards (chips on boards to be exact) made for RED exclusively (there's only 3 of them in the Epic M - the sensor board, the RGB board, the IO board). And even on those boards there's plenty of parts that could be found online.

The local shop has managed to repair - the Side SSD board (analog to digital sound converter was in a short circuit after someone put a sync device into the earphones jack with a phantom power turned on both inside a camera and on the device). Chip was replaced with a new one - working flawlessly after.

The SDI/HDMI board also was repaired, and the side-ssd module board was also repaired (the top fan connector was damaged on the board).

Also the water damage to the contacts on the PCBs was minimised.

So, is it non-repairable? I highly doubt it after seeing how non-complicated the repair was. It's a totally marketing decision to push everyone into DSMC2, which is maybe ok for a company, but has vastly turned me out of RED camp (I bought my first Red Scarlet MX and a week later RED announced DSMC1 EOL).
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 07-11-2021 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
    That's a pretty weak comparison, considering you can run out and buy a brand new 6L6 vacuum tube at a reasonable price. It's a lot easier to buy a vacuum tube released in 1936 than it is to repair a DSMC1...maybe choose your analogies more carefully.

https://www.thetubestore.com/power-t...881-tube-types

I disagree that a perfectly relevant camera deliver in 2017 should wind up in a landfill in 2021 because basic maintenance and simple repairs are unavailable. My EPIC M is up and running again thanks to my friend, and I could not be happier, but I'm kind of stunned that RED is ready to punt all of these cameras to the landfill. What a waste.
    My analogy is just fine. I said RCA. You cannot run out and buy an RCA vacuum tube. The reason? They don't make them anymore. They do make clones in China and Russia but they are knock offs, not RCA. This is no different than Zeiss no longer being able to make T1.3 Super Speeds. Turns out radioactivity isn't healthy. You could argue that RED should have bought more parts to future proof their ability to repair their older cameras. But they apparently didn't. Or, as Alex points out, if the parts are available, they could continue to repair in some way, but they don't. So here we are. RED is a very small company, started by a billionaire who didn't need to make money at the time, but maybe they do need to make money now? Buy a Sony I guess?...which EOL'd the F3 only two years after it was introduced. What I know is that I bought a used Scarlet-MX in 2013. And you know what? It bricked about two weeks after I got it. I sent it back to RED (no warranty at all) and they fixed a bad board, upgraded two others, fixed a broken audio jack that I didn't know about, set the clock back to zero and overnighted it back to me, for free. Your mileage may vary.
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

I've owned 8 iterations of RED cameras since 2007 and owned a reservation in the very first round. The level of customer service you received in 2013, when RED would go to bat for their cameras and their customers is simply not the level of customer service you will receive today. Of course companies change and evolve, and so do customers. It's just too bad that my brand commitment is no longer matched by a similar customer commitment anymore. It makes RED just another camera company. If your Monstro is bricked in 2025 because you can't get basic maintenance on it, then no complaining, right? Because that's the analogy we should really be comparing - one top of the line camera to another, and its eventual trip to the landfill if it is abandoned. Shoot fast, life is short.

Can we confirm that DSMC1 is truly EOL now?

Last thing I heard was that they were winding down support and not stocking older parts. So if something went bust on your DSMC1 and the part wasn't in stock then the camera is out of luck.

Is it across the board now? Any damage or faults with a DSMC1 have no chance of repair from RED?

Quote Originally Posted by Josef Gatti View Post
    Can we confirm that DSMC1 is truly EOL now?

Last thing I heard was that they were winding down support and not stocking older parts. So if something went bust on your DSMC1 and the part wasn't in stock then the camera is out of luck.

Is it across the board now? Any damage or faults with a DSMC1 have no chance of repair from RED?
    I've contacted RED a month after the announcement - I've had a small bite on my 5.0 Touch. Short answer was - we don't service DSMC1 anymore. I've heard and read lots of similar replies all over the forum. The only category they were worried about was dsmc1 Dragon, because it was way younger than MX on the date of the EOL announcement.

Also I think there's a differenciation if you're a direct RED customer or you have a second-hand brain, no matter registered or not.

But, it's not as hard to repair the cam at the local shop as you might think. I've managed to make a working one out of a piece of garbage, literally. The cams are really built like tanks, thus if the brain wasn't drowned or overheated - it'll live long. SDI/HDMI/SOUND boards are quite easy to repair, but the sensor, RGB board and the IOB boards have plenty of RED genuine parts and in most occasions are non-repairable, it's a direct board swap or sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new brain.
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 07-16-2021 at 01:23 AM.

What would be awesome if RED released a self repair manual of the camera; breaking down the layers of the camera and showing a schematic system of where, what, why, how and when to fix if need. I feel that could help soothe the DSMC1ers out there. If there is a straightforward way to decomplexify it all, it could be a fantastic solution of the so called "dead-end" or "EOL" for the users.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

Thanks Alex that's super helpful. Unfortunately my insurer wouldn't accept a repair bill from an uncertified party. And my DSMC1 Dragon is still making great images, I much prefer it over Helium tbh. Pretty sneaky of RED to abandon DSMC1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    Do you remember Red's Obsolescence Obsolet, folks ?
    Sure do. Was a great bit of marketing in hindsight

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    What would be awesome if RED released a self repair manual of the camera; breaking down the layers of the camera and showing a schematic system of where, what, why, how and when to fix if need. I feel that could help soothe the DSMC1ers out there. If there is a straightforward way to decomplexify it all, it could be a fantastic solution of the so called "dead-end" or "EOL" for the users.
    That's a good idea....

mine turned out to need a good cleaning and to have its fan reseated, and it's purring like a kitten. That's it. It still amazes me that I could not get something so simple done. I would have paid for an out-of-warranty repair. I guess it was cheaper to EOL it than to fix these....