Thread: Red Control performance

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thought I would share a photo of the wifi set up. the TP-Link 750AC runs off of 5V. I used a universal battery holder sold by smallrig for $22 I think it was. Lucked out that it was a white router.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    WiFi problems and solutions are one thing, but this isn't really about wireless performance. If you have a perfect wireless performance or using the Komodo Link cable you will still get bad performance with frame drops, stutters, motion inconsistencies, and a serious drop in latency (yes, even with a cable).
    It doesn't matter if we find solutions to strengthen the wireless signal if the basic performance of the video feed isn't working properly.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I believe this is a camera issue, where extra processes are taking up resources and causing delays in rendering the video signal.

As I see it.

Red should make a little snug SDI pass trough thingy that also had a good usb video out feed to iphone.

I love haivng the iphone as screen but yes, really does not work with the current preformance with lag, drops etc. It needs to be like DJI mavic or such. Something that just works with good picture. I would pay for it.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    As I see it.

Red should make a little snug SDI pass trough thingy that also had a good usb video out feed to iphone.

I love haivng the iphone as screen but yes, really does not work with the current preformance with lag, drops etc. It needs to be like DJI mavic or such. Something that just works with good picture. I would pay for it.
    You mean having the SDI signal on a separate module (so not risking damage to the board inside the camera) but at the same time use that signal for USB viewing instead? Might work. I feel, however, that Komodo Link should work fine. There's a lot of data throughout from the top of the camera, it just needs some better protocols and stuff to make a better picture. Or just make their own battery-powered monitor for the top. I just want to stay away from SDI as much as possible. It should be a secondary option and client view, not primary view.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

What I still don't get is why video transmission over WiFi seems to work fine for some (and on Red's YouTube videos), but is totally unusable for me, even with the phone touching the antenna. Is it the latest firmware? Anyone getting reliable video on latest app and firmware?

The Komodo Link has been useless for me and decided to use a combination of products instead. Komodo to Vaxis via SDI then Vaxis to my Ninja V via sdi, powering my Ninja V with a GDU battery. The Vaxis App isnt great but much better connection than the link. I use my link to give my monitor a 1in boost on top of the camera just to say I use it.

The only downside to this setup is I only get 1080p on my monitor unless I want to run SDI from the camera to the Ninja V then from the Ninja V to the Vaxis but that will add an extra SDI to manage and the connections are not setup in the best positions for that.

Because of your expereince, I got a TP-Link, AC750, TL-WR902AC. Connected things up as a hotspot, linking to the Komodo in Ad-hoc mode. So far, I'm really happy with this solution. Hanging the TP-Link off my tripod instead of the camera, itself. So far, it links up instantly and haven't seen any dropouts or hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
    Because of your expereince, I got a TP-Link, AC750, TL-WR902AC. Connected things up as a hotspot, linking to the Komodo in Ad-hoc mode. So far, I'm really happy with this solution. Hanging the TP-Link off my tripod instead of the camera, itself. So far, it links up instantly and haven't seen any dropouts or hiccups.
    I'm home now so I did some tests. First tried infrastructure mode on my home wifi with camera and phone right next to router. It is better than ad hoc, but still getting dropouts of about 1/3 of a second quite frequently. Definitely not usable for anything other than framing non-moving subjects.

Also tested a larger aerial on the Komodo using ad hoc at close range (phone on top of camera). Still not usable.

Edit: how did you link via a router in ad hoc mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    I'm home now so I did some tests. First tried infrastructure mode on my home wifi with camera and phone right next to router. It is better than ad hoc, but still getting dropouts of about 1/3 of a second quite frequently. Definitely not usable for anything other than framing non-moving subjects.

Also tested a larger aerial on the Komodo using ad hoc at close range (phone on top of camera). Still not usable.

Edit: how did you link via a router in ad hoc mode?
    The router has several modes, one is as a hotspot. After turning both the K, in ad hoc mode, and the router on, I use my iPad browser to manage the router to connect to the K. The router has 2.4 and 5G, so part of the setup is to select 5G. Then, just launching the Red Control App makes the connection. I did some whip pans and things seemed synced up. I need to work with this some more before I can claim, definitively, that there's no lag.