Thread: Red Control performance

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    I've tried for the first time the app yesterday.
    Latest firmware build, latest app version.

I'm on two Huawei P20. And the experience was the opposite, it was so smooth, no stutter, no problem at all. I have also a Vaxis KV 600 that I didn't tested.
    I'm kinda worried about smartdevices horsepower reading this as I ordered 3 Huawei Matepads with cages, handles and powerbanks. I hope I didn't throw 1500€ out of the window.
    It probably has more power than a 3 years old P20 though, but I don't know.

Anyone using tablets as monitoring devices ?
    Interesting. That's a much older Device than mine. I'm on a Xiaomi Mi 11 with 8GB RAM. So I doubt the issue is the phone not being fast enough.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leeming View Post
    Yeah, Red really, REALLY needs a first party monitor using the top pogo pins. It blows my mind why they didn't update the Raven 4.7" to work or even build a pogo to pogo pin connector for the Hydrogen.
    The biggest reason is that they can't provide enough power from the camera. But all of that is just tackling the issue in the wrong way. The solution is to simply make a monitor that is native to the camera and uses BP batteries. Since most got those batteries for the camera itself, it makes perfect sense to have a native display powered by the same types of batteries. It also makes it relevant to buy smaller BP batteries but use the same charger for everything.

It's really not rocket science, I just don't know why this solution isn't up on the table. It's like they are fine with the SDI solution and don't want to make people angry for getting expensive SDI monitors, which doesn't make sense really.

A 5-inch Red monitor with BP battery mount that can be attached directly or with a Red Arm and cable... just do it.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Here's another video that shows the lag of monitoring through Red Control. This is with the Komodo Link and the inconsistencies are really bad for any kind of critical monitoring. That something "works" is not the same as being viable for shoot. A tripod shot is ok with this option but doing handheld or gimbal work just doesn't cut it. If I do a fast pan or any faster movement and I get this stutter, I may end up in the wrong composition because I don't get a fluid motion to work off.

"Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Here's another video that shows the lag of monitoring through Red Control. This is with the Komodo Link and the inconsistencies are really bad for any kind of critical monitoring. That something "works" is not the same as being viable for shoot. A tripod shot is ok with this option but doing handheld or gimbal work just doesn't cut it. If I do a fast pan or any faster movement and I get this stutter, I may end up in the wrong composition because I don't get a fluid motion to work off.

My brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max is way worse than that. Especially, if I enable Focus peaking. Before the update it was really smooth. Now barely usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    My brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max is way worse than that. Especially, if I enable Focus peaking. Before the update it was really smooth. Now barely usable.
    Which supports my thesis that this has nothing to do with the performance of the phones or using WiFi or Komodo Link. The basic performance of this setup always produces stutters, frame inconsistencies, and lag that makes it unusable for anything but concluding that "it just works". Komodo Link is a $395 product and while it removes total loss of video stream that can happen with WiFi, it doesn't provide any other improvements for monitoring.

So, I think it's pretty obvious how Red should solve this:

- Improve the performance of monitoring through the Komodo Link, which would also mean WiFi performance gets better since this is about a base performance before wireless streaming problems get introduced.
    - Make a dedicated Komodo monitor for direct attachment to the top of the camera or cable from the top of the camera, and on the back, feature a BP battery power solution to be used with the native batteries for Komodo.
    - Make a new Komodo Expander Module that focuses on SDI video output so that if the SDI board is blown, it's just the expander module and not the camera that gets damaged. It can also feature an HDMI output in order to be a dedicated expander module for video out options.

That's it.

I'll chime in here to say my experience mimics many others in this thread, totally stuttery and unusable no matter what the phone is. I wouldn't even wanna send the director this feed. Latency is one thing but frame drops and skips is another. This is over wifi,that is. I can't personally test the Komodo Link but apparently it's not any better.

What I dont really get is how can raveneye be so much better in terms of studdring etc than the red app. One would think that there where not so many different protocols for streaming video to an iphone over wifi.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

I use this app with both iPhone and Android devices. As of late it has become totally impractical due to dropped frames and freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    I use this app with both iPhone and Android devices. As of late it has become totally impractical due to dropped frames and freezing.

Yes it only tends to work when its not needed or nobody is watching. :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

It's disappointing to say the least. I really wonder where the bottle neck and issue is.

I try to use it as a directors monitor feed but even that is fraught with issues.

I presume on the Komodo that the final step is taking that existing monitor image, compression and transmission. Is the stuttering coming from that? Or is it the other end, the phone end. It's interesting that the link really offers little difference. Image over USB C - that can do everything SDI can and i was hoping that would be what the Komodo was kicking out but maybe it's not.

How awesome it would be to get a better image this way...

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome