Thread: The Psychology Of Color Grading & Its Emotional Impact On Your Audience

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Karim,

I think most people think, "well that guy's movie got alot of attention and notoriety maybe I can just do what that guy did an get the same amount of attention". "I don't have his skill or his talent, maybe if I just copy the look of his film that will be enough".

COLOR PSYCHOLOGY

By LidiaSeara

Rand,
    Thanks for posting this informative material. I thought I understood color theory pretty well but there was definitely more here and I like that.
    Best regards, Mark

PS: It may be understatement but it would seem that Karim didn't find this post as interesting as I did.

You're Welcome Mark!

I think I've learned from the articles and Videos I've posted that it's not so much about getting a perfect looking image but how you can further help convey the filmmaker's intent with every individual graded image.

Subtle shifts in color make a huge difference in the reaction by the viewer. Even in landscape and wildlife a little tweak makes a difference in how the image is regarded. Sometimes the grade is just bringing the captured image closer to the videographer's perception of what the scene looked like. But other times a goal reaction is what one wants.

I know the Matrix trilogy was heavily graded to create a perception/reaction in the viewer. It just happened to use the teal/orange scheme. Many, many view the trilogy without realizing there was a grade applied. They simply watch and react. I am certain this was the goal and it is accomplished through skillful knowledge of psychology and art.

As a shout out to you - I don't know how much time you spend on the web but I expect "a lot" and that effort is much appreciated when you forward/share what you find. The topics all circle around the general theme of video/photography but sometimes something comes in from the outer planets that opens a new door to "interesting". A simple sum is "thanks a lot".

I found this webinar to be incredibly insightful, especially on topics you don't see discussed very often around colour and individual perception.

https://mixinglight.com/color-gradin...ocess-webinar/

JB

(I'm a paid up user of mixing light, but this webinar seems to be free)
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. Jaeger View Post
    Subtle shifts in color make a huge difference in the reaction by the viewer. Even in landscape and wildlife a little tweak makes a difference in how the image is regarded. Sometimes the grade is just bringing the captured image closer to the videographer's perception of what the scene looked like. But other times a goal reaction is what one wants.

I know the Matrix trilogy was heavily graded to create a perception/reaction in the viewer. It just happened to use the teal/orange scheme. Many, many view the trilogy without realizing there was a grade applied. They simply watch and react. I am certain this was the goal and it is accomplished through skillful knowledge of psychology and art.

As a shout out to you - I don't know how much time you spend on the web but I expect "a lot" and that effort is much appreciated when you forward/share what you find. The topics all circle around the general theme of video/photography but sometimes something comes in from the outer planets that opens a new door to "interesting". A simple sum is "thanks a lot".

Mark Thanks Again! I spend alot of time trying to learn from the internet as well as other places so that I can always further improve my skills. My thing is I want to be better than I was a year ago, a month ago, a day ago, an hour ago. I never can understand those people who simply just want to just be good enough and nothing more. I always try to share from all of places I've gathered info from so that others can learn what I learned or even more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I found this webinar to be incredibly insightful, especially on topics you don't see discussed very often around colour and individual perception.

https://mixinglight.com/color-gradin...ocess-webinar/

JB

(I'm a paid up user of mixing light, but this webinar seems to be free)
    Thanks John for the link!

Secrets of color-grading in photography

This says Photography but this could also be applied in cinema.

By
    Joanna Kustra

COLOR THEORY for Filmmakers

By
    CINEMATICJ