Thread: carryon - baggage

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm thinking if I can get a good rate I can ship most of my gear with FedEx to the location Fedex to pick up, so I won't have to deal with check in baggage. I had custom cases made for the Red Epic and lenses etc.... I would post some photos but not sure how to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bradley View Post
    With weight limits getting smaller and having to carry batteries on in hand luggage, its getting harder to carry all I want on to the plane. Back in the Betacam and digibeta days airlines would always allow the full camera in the overhead lockers. Back then extra batteries were checked baggage. It was so much easier knowing you had a camera with battery and lens attached (and usually a tape in as well) with you.
    Ouch - the memories.
    I lost a Betacam SP camera by leaving the battery attached when in airline transit.
    Although double padded and n a shipping case, some idiot must have dropped it.
    Due to the shock, the weight of the battery cracked the magnesium body of the camera rendering it useless and unrepairable.

It was one heck of a way to learn that my insurance policy did not cover "in-transit" events.
    In other words, had it happened on location, no problem.
    While in the hands of the airline, I had to suck wind.
    Filed a claim with the airline and was pointed to a disclaimer.
    Seem to remember them giving me $250 as a courtesy.
    A painful lesson.

From that day forward, I always separated the battery from the camera with a single piece of cardboard or bubble wrap.
    Ditto with the lens. A simple solution for a problem I would wish on no one.

For the newbies: We used to be able to carry pretty much as many batteries as we wanted since they were NiCad's.
    Today, Lithium Ion batteries are a different animal and how you transport them is controlled.
    Worth being familiar with the info referenced on this page:
    https://www.antonbauer.com/en/produc...ith-batteries/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Ouch - the memories.
    I lost a Betacam SP camera by leaving the battery attached when in airline transit.
    Although double padded and n a shipping case, some idiot must have dropped it.
    Due to the shock, the weight of the battery cracked the magnesium body of the camera rendering it useless and unrepairable.

It was one heck of a way to learn that my insurance policy did not cover "in-transit" events.
    In other words, had it happened on location, no problem.
    While in the hands of the airline, I had to suck wind.
    Filed a claim with the airline and was pointed to a disclaimer.
    Seem to remember them giving me $250 as a courtesy.
    A painful lesson.

From that day forward, I always separated the battery from the camera with a single piece of cardboard or bubble wrap.
    Ditto with the lens. A simple solution for a problem I would wish on no one.

For the newbies: We used to be able to carry pretty much as many batteries as we wanted since they were NiCad's.
    Today, Lithium Ion batteries are a different animal and how you transport them is controlled.
    Worth being familiar with the info referenced on this page:
    https://www.antonbauer.com/en/produc...ith-batteries/
    That's the kind of thing that makes you physically sick to your stomach...

I always removed the lens from the body when shipping and made sure there was plenty of padding between them. The last time I had shipped one of my VariCams out with a lens to have a lens profile created for that combo, I of course separated them when I shipped it, but it was returned with the lens attached to the body. Luckily, nothing happened, but to say that I was pissed is a severe understatement. And this was a company that should have known better.

I also remember when a well placed $20 with the SkyCap took care of all your shipping headaches at the airport. At least when flying out.

I also find it is always worth calling the airline before the flight. Here in South Africa, some of the local airlines give me 2x hand luggage when I tell them I have camera equipment. Others allow "skycheck" where I carry a second bag to the plane and they load it by hand, then return it to me as I get off the plane.

I use the Cinebags Revolution cb25 and that holds my epic and some lenses, maybe some other gear if needed, as well as a laptop and some spare underpants. Fits snugly in the overhead.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    DZOFilm Pictor Cine Zoom, Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Soviet glass

does this site have a way to post photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Potts View Post
    does this site have a way to post photos?
    You can click on attachments below when creating a message but it limits jpegs to something like 620x280 and they don't display inline. Maybe one day we will get a forum update :)

Rather upload to a hosting site like imgur.com and embed the image from there (imgur can generate the necessary code to embed different sized images).