Thread: What are some useful apps in photography or editing?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 What are some useful apps in photography or editing? 
    Not the most advanced ones though. What are the apps you recommend that even beginners can use without difficulties? What does it do and how much does it cost?

Here are some apps you may wish to consider:

For planning outdoor work there are several that I have found to have benefit:

SunSeeker and Deluxe Moon for knowing what, when.

TPE, TPE 3D, PhotoPils allow detailed planning of shots (like - when will the sun come over that hill?).

For Astro work Skyview and Stellarium allow understanding of what you can see. PhotoPils also allows overlaying the stars over your view (for example showing the Milky Way beyond a given scene).

Clear Outside and Dark Sky are excellent local weather forecasts that I have found to be surprisingly accurate

FoolControl is always a strong app as you can remotely control your DSMC2.

My answers could be more specific if you said what you were trying to capture.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I'm happy to give my opinions but I need to know if you're asking just a general question, or about photography specifically. In general I spend as little time on the computer as possible when it comes to photography.

Editing is done with Quick Look. Corrections and processing, if any, are done in DxO Optics Pro 9. I also use Automator to change file names. If I ever need to do frame averaging I'd use Image Magick. I haven't tried the astronomy centric apps yet, but they look quite powerful for frame averaging. I haven't tried focus stacking either, except in-camera (i.e. Olympus).

I don't shoot video except for fun on social media, usually Byte. But I do occasionally use iMovie on iOS to put sound overlays on footage. I also have a camera app on the iPhone called ProCam.

I once corrected a photo (not mine) in DaVinci Resolve, taken on Kodak Ektar which was imperfectly developed. It was very easy, especially given that I only have a beginner's knowledge of it.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Thanks for all your input. I'll take a look at each one of them. Can't really tell I have experienced using any of the apps you mentioned. Hopefully, it's easy for beginners.

I answered above based upon an assumption about what you were trying to accomplish (I thought "capture"). If you would like more focused answers - describe what you are trying to do.

I used Sunseeker on several Android phones. The camera view is great. However, there is no way to correct if the calibration is off? The sun location was noticeably off on some devices.

Thank you. I appreciate all your inputs. Nothing really in particular but I was hoping I can get a view of how things work for everyone else when it comes to organization, photos, editing, ideas, and all other related things involving the art of photography or videography.