Thread: 8K lens recommendations

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 8K lens recommendations 
    I am planning on upgrading from a Dragon X to a Monstro and looking at lens options to get full 8K coverage in at least a 16:9 aspect ratio. I looks like most full frame stills lenses don't quite cover (https://brains.florianmilz.com/lenscoverage) and hoping to get recommendations. I own a variety on Nikon glass, Irix cine and some Leica R's... But also have some Mamiya 645 lenses. Anyone tested the C7 Mamiya mount on the Monstro at 8K? Many thanks!
    David Wright
    DP / Producer
    www.expeditioncamera.com

Of the stills targeted primes, I'm most familiar with Canon and Sigma. Only the widest angles, <20mm, have compromised corners @8KHD. FWIW, I've been able to get around that by slightly reducing the raster to 7KHD and even on a legit UHD/4K monitor you can't tell.

Note: be sure to use a mount designed for VV. I tested a set of Otui (thanx to the fine folks at Duclos) when I first got my VV Monstro and there was a hard vignette. Turns out the lenses covered, but my standard EF mount had too small of a throat. Doh.

Thanx David for the link to the lens coverage site - and to Florian Milz for compiling the data/making it available.

Cheers - #19

What Blair said basically.

Going to ask what's your budget really because there's a lot to consider.

On the cinema PL side of things there's lots and lots of options.

On the still side there's even more options.

Short list of cine suspects:

Leitz Cine
    Tokina Cinema Vista
    Sigma Cine
    Zeiss Supremes
    Zeiss CP.3s
    DZO Vespids
    Cooke S7s
    Arri Signature
    Angenieux Optimo
    Blackwing7
    Canon CN-E
    Rokinon Xeens

Pretty wild budget range there.

On the Cine-Mod side, I have a few sets of the Mamiyas and enjoy them. I had Duclos slap PL Mounts on there. Same on my Otus primes, minus the PL mount, if you go this route ask for the Cine-Mod Pro with bayonet 114mm fronts which eliminates light occlusion with the wider front as well as different mounting method. Those are pretty high quality IMO and some of the best glass to be had before you get up to pricier sets, but obviously not purposefully designed for cinema in terms of housing, mechanics, etc. Most of you Nikons will be fine. Same for your Leica-Rs. Haven't tested the C7 mount, but it seems like a nice mount.

For FF35 primes, you will occasionally discover potential vignette around 35mm at wider for lenses that don't play well. Most do however.

I've been shooting RED VV for a very, very long time now. Only glass I haven't had on there are the most recent extremely high end (Arri) zooms which I haven't tested just yet.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Blair, confirmed my research. Trying to get ready for the upgrade and hit the ground running
    David Wright
    DP / Producer
    www.expeditioncamera.com

Hi Phil,

Great info. Thanks for all the work you have done to help other VV shooters! Thinking I will have to test each lens and see how it works out but great to know you have had success with the Mamiyas. Used to shoot a 645 stills camera, gave the body away but thankfully kept the glass. Looked at the Xeens but got the impression they had some vignetting on 8K... but that is from reading and not testing. What has been your experience?
    David Wright
    DP / Producer
    www.expeditioncamera.com

Hi Dave!

Yes I don't think the Xeens cover. CVP confirms that. You've probably seen this link as well:

http://cvp.com/tools/cameralens

I begin to wonder whether my Contax Zeiss really cover VV, or nearly ??

Hi Will,

I saw some tests that showed the 24 & 14 vignette at 8K, which is a shame. Was interested in the CF versions. As you say... nearly cover, which is not quite good enough
    David Wright
    DP / Producer
    www.expeditioncamera.com

Yes, I can see the zeens don't.

Nick Morrison suggests that Contax CY do cover VV but I don't know anyone who has tested it extensively. Canon FD is the other question for me?
    In any event, how do your Nikons and Leica R's fare?

.... and congratulations on the camera! :))

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Hi Dave!

Yes I don't think the Xeens cover. CVP confirms that. You've probably seen this link as well:

http://cvp.com/tools/cameralens

I begin to wonder whether my Contax Zeiss really cover VV, or nearly ??
    I don't think that CVP is correct here. I am not sure how they are arriving at their determination. I own a Monstro, and I own the Xeen CF lenses. 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. They do not show even a hint of vignette in coverage at 8K FF. I just checked all the lenses at all exposures and focus from infinity to close focus. No vignette. I wonder if they were testing the original Xeen lenses, I am guessing that is the case because they list a 14mm in the set and the CF set has no such lens. The widest as already mentioned is the 16mm. People say they are the same glass and maybe they are. Samyang claims different coatings and I am not a lens expert, but I know enough to know that the different housing may be in play here. There is also the possible error of testing a super 35 PL mount as opposed to VV. I also just checked all my Otus glass and found zero vignette. Additionally, whilst these lenses are often dissed, (the Xeen) they are dissed mostly by people whom have never used them. They are much better than the internet reputation that proceeds them and i find them to have a pleasing character as well as very nice mechanics. YMMV.
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for this info! I will look into this once I have the camera in hand. Relieved to know the CF version works at 8K.
    David Wright
    DP / Producer
    www.expeditioncamera.com